Bugs in PF 8.3.9 (1928)

Leigh Gustafson

28 Apr, 2019 02:56 PM

Bug 1: Single clicking a file name twice does not enter file/folder name edit mode. Pressing Enter does enter edit mode.

Bug 2: With a folder clicked and then pressing Cmd-A (for select all), all of the contents of the folder the selected folder is in are selected. Preferred functionality would be that with a folder selected and pressing Cmd-A the contents of the selected folder are selected.

Suggested functionality request when in column mode: Add 10 pixels between the file/folder icons and the left edge of the column view so that this area can be clicked on to deselect anything that might be selected in the column. At this point Cmd-A should select everything in the current column.

1. 1 Posted by Leigh Gustafson on 28 Apr, 2019 03:19 PM

Another apparent bug: In Mojave 10.14.4 I cannot drag and drop items to the toolbar.

2. 2 Posted by edbro9 on 28 Apr, 2019 04:34 PM

Bug 1: Mine works fine. Double click enters rename mode.

Bug 2: I'm pretty sure this is the correct behavior. It works the same in Finder.

The bug about drag/drop to toolbar is real and is kind of a big deal that I hope they get fixed soon.

3. 3 Posted by Leigh Gustafson on 28 Apr, 2019 05:21 PM

Bug 1 is real on my machine.

Agree on the toolbar issue. A "stacks" functionality in the toolbar would be cool too.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Apr, 2019 05:33 AM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Apr, 2019 05:34 AM

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Apr, 2019 05:34 AM

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for contacting us!

Regarding bug #1, please follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Make sure that Path Finder is located in the Applications folder
      (in case you are using macOS Mojave) Use System Preferences > Security & Privacy > grant Full Disk Access to Path Finder

2. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

3. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Bug #2 is indeed an expected behavior.

I've already reported the toolbar not accepting items on macOS Mojave to our developers.

Would you mind sharing more details on your feature requests? 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Apr, 2019 05:34 AM.

8. Leigh Gustafson re-opened this discussion on 29 Apr, 2019 09:32 AM

9. 5 Posted by Leigh Gustafson on 29 Apr, 2019 09:32 AM

Thank you for this response. Unfortunately your work around did not affect bug 1, I still cannot enter edit mode by single left clicking twice on a file or by double clicking a folder or alias name.

I did find that PF was not on the list in Security & Privacy so I added it.

After pasting in the first command (xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app") I did find that PF was quarantined. (How does that happen?) I entered the second command and then the first command again and found that nothing is quarantined any more.

I restarted PF and found no change. So I executed a system restart with the same results, I cannot enter file/folder/alias name edit mode by right clicking. Pressing “enter” still works just fine. It would be nice if Rename was a right click item.

Bug 1 is persistant.

——

So bug 2 is not a bug, things work as you expect. Note that I have PF because I’m not satisfied with Finder. My particular use case is that I had to do a full system reconfiguration when I upgraded to Mojave, which included a boot disk reformat, so I’m still rebuilding everything from scratch, including iTunes. I am trying to find a more efficient way to get all my music and movies into iTunes by reducing the number of clicks and drags necessary.

A note about my working movements. I greatly prefer to keep my hands where they are as much as possible. If both hands are on the keyboard I want to keep them there. It is a pain to move a hand from the keyboard to the mouse for a quick click and then back again.

When a folder is selected I would very much like to see that the folders contents are selected by Cmd-A, not the folder’s current directory. Perhaps another keyboard short cut could be used for my purpose? Oh for the days when QuicKeys was around.

Leigh
    "Nil desperandum. A posse ad esse.”
    

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 01 May, 2019 09:14 AM

Hi Leigh,

Sorry for the delayed reply!

Could you please make sure you're clicking in the text and not on the row/icon to initiate the renaming?

As for selection, I will forward this suggestion as a feature request to our development team.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 May, 2019 09:14 AM.

12. Leigh Gustafson re-opened this discussion on 01 May, 2019 09:22 AM

13. 7 Posted by Leigh Gustafson on 01 May, 2019 09:22 AM

Jordan,

I am confirming that I am clicking on the name. Cmd-Shift-R and pressing Enter both work just fine but neither is good for my work flow. Cmd-Shift-R is a bit cumbersome and Enter is too far away from the main keyboard.

I’m not sure what Cmd-R is doing, it seems to do different things depending on what is currently selected. If a folder it moves to a file inside that folder to a file starting with R or the next available file if no file starting with R is present. If I start out with a file selected it seems to move to the first file starting with R in that same folder.

Leigh
    "Nil desperandum. A posse ad esse.”
    

14. Support Staff 8 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 May, 2019 12:40 AM

Hi Leigh,

By default CMD + R is mapped to Show Original (e.g. follow a symlink). You may remap it in Path Finder -> Preferences -> Features -> Keyboard.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 May, 2019 12:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac