How to make Dropbox SmartSync work?

Les Matheson

20 Apr, 2019 09:34 AM

I have the evaluation version of PathFinder 8 -- it seems to solve almost all of my complaints about Finder. But I'm frustrated by the absence of SmartSync support: I have tons of data in Dropbox, but I can't keep it all local on my laptop. How can I change the SmartSync status for a file or folder in PathFinder, or at least launch Finder for the target item so I can go back to the old tool in such cases?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 Apr, 2019 11:39 AM

Hi,

I'm afraid Path Finder can only see files that are present locally on your hard drive.

We will investigate available APIs for cloud services and possibilities to integrate them into PathFinder, but that will take some time.
    Also, it's rather expected we wouldn't be able to achieve full functionality like working with the native application, as APIs these companies provide don't offer the full functionality of native applications.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Apr, 2019 11:39 AM.

3. Les Matheson re-opened this discussion on 25 Apr, 2019 12:00 PM

4. 2 Posted by Les Matheson on 25 Apr, 2019 12:00 PM

Please do not close the ticket just because you think you've answered it. That's rude.

You've not answered it completely, and not entirely understood the situation.

1. Pathfinder KNOWS the files are there. I can see them. The issue is that Dropbox keeps a stub of the file/directory on disk, so that metadata and file presence is available to all applications, but the management state of files can be either 'local' or 'remote', and that's a user-selectable option.

2. Pathfinder does not need to implement the Dropbox APIs to solve this problem -- it just needs to provide a way to launch Finder with the associate file or dir path, so that the user can take advantage of any features in Finder which are not available in Pathfinder, without having to explicitly navigate all over again.

This is actually a very easy thing to solve, and it would be helpful for many other use cases that have nothing to do with Dropbox. Just have a right-click menu that says "Locate this file/dir in Finder".

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 Apr, 2019 12:29 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

The forum is integrated with our CRM system and it automatically closes tickets after each reply.
    Every new reply reopens it, so other users should be able to comment and subscribe to your thread regardless of its status.

1) The 'local' or 'remote' user-selectable option affects the Dropbox app primarily. Dropbox may, for example, provide access to these options through its API, allowing 3rd-party apps to change Dropbox settings within said apps. This makes relatively easy to integrate Dropbox (using its API) compared to hacking into it, but it still requires work. Potentially, further API integration could allow for "files on-demand" behaviour, too. Note that all those are theoretical examples and may not be possible with Dropbox API.
    Hope that explains what we mean under integrating the APIs.

2) You may use "Reveal in Finder" context menu item to open any file in Finder.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Apr, 2019 12:29 PM.

7. Les Matheson re-opened this discussion on 25 Apr, 2019 10:44 PM

8. 4 Posted by Les Matheson on 25 Apr, 2019 10:44 PM

Unfortunately, that just launches another Pathfinder window. So I really am forced to open Finder, manually navigate to the path, etc.

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 27 Apr, 2019 05:32 AM

Hi,

Do you have Path Finder set as the default file browser?
    In this case, please try using Services -> Show in Finder from the context menu.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Apr, 2019 05:32 AM.

11. Les Matheson re-opened this discussion on 27 Apr, 2019 11:13 AM

12. 6 Posted by Les Matheson on 27 Apr, 2019 11:13 AM

Ok, that works -- amazingly, that Services menu is something I've never had
    a use for until now! :)

Thanks for your help.

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 Apr, 2019 12:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac