Freezes when closing a window---give PF 8 some love, please!

loredo

19 Apr, 2019 02:47 AM

I'm using PF 8.3.9 on a Mac Pro running 10.13.6. Since the last update, I've been repeatedly having problems where, after using PF for a while, when I close a window (click on the red button), PF freezes with a spinning beach ball. I'll let it run for a few minutes, in the hope that it will resolve the situation, but it never stops, and I have to force quite. Restarting doesn't bring up a dialog recognizing the crash and offering to send diagnostic info to the devs (PF has enough problems, it really should be doing this, as many apps do). So I don't know how to help you identify the bug. It doesn't happen every time I close a window. It's been happening every few days. Besides the lost time waiting for the freeze to resolve, when PF crashes, it fails to remember the last state of the windows, so on restart I have to reconstruct my last session. What a headache.

I'll take this opportunity to say that I really regret upgrading to PF 8. It feels like the app is stagnating. Updates are infrequent, and when they happen, they fail to address lingering problems, even small ones that appear easy to fix (like the file name change issue in column view), and they introduce new problems. You keep saying that it's a complicated app and it takes time to fix things, but in comparison to every other app I've licensed—including several far more complicated—PF 8 does not seem to improve with time, and feels right on the edge of being a mess. What it feels like is that Cocoatech took my upgrade funds, and instead of using them for ongoing PF development, Cocoatech is using the funds to bootstrap Distant Future Corp.. CEO Gehrman says, on his LinkedIn page, "I'm currently focused on changing the world with Blockchain technologies...". As a customer, I have to say it's easy to believe Cocoatech is focused on something other than Path Finder. Please, give PF 8 some love!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 19 Apr, 2019 12:41 PM

Hi Loredo,

Are you able to reproduce this issue reliably? What would be the steps to do so?
    By "fails to remember the last state of the windows", do you mean the current location or your preferences?

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of the PathFinder process in a separate file - this will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Apr, 2019 12:41 PM.

3. loredo re-opened this discussion on 04 May, 2019 07:20 PM

4. 2 Posted by loredo on 04 May, 2019 07:20 PM

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.

Unfortunately, as I noted, the problem happens "after using PF for a while," i.e., randomly, so I can't "reproduce" it. So I waited until it happened again. I've sent a process sample by email.

5. 3 Posted by loredo on 04 May, 2019 07:20 PM

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 May, 2019 05:25 AM

Hi Loredo, 

Thank you for the sample! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue, sorry for the inconvenience.

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 May, 2019 05:25 AM.

8. Dragan re-opened this discussion on 07 May, 2019 10:08 AM

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dragan on 07 May, 2019 10:08 AM

Hi Loredo,

A few questions…

1. Is the process sample you attached above taken while Path Finder was "beach-balling"? I ask that, because I don't really see anything suspicious there. If so, can you please give it another try?

2. What is "the file name change issue in column view", can you please explain in more details, because I don't see any problem with that on my machine.

Thanks for your time and support.

10. 6 Posted by loredo on 07 May, 2019 09:12 PM

Dragan-

*1.** Is the process sample you attached above taken while Path Finder was "beach-balling"? I ask that, because I don't really see anything suspicious there. If so, can you please give it another try?

Yes. As I've now said *twice*, I can't *make* this happen. It just happens randomly. If it happens again, I'll try again. At the moment I'm trying to switch to Forklift, so I don't know if/when it may happen again. I've been using PF for over a decade, since v4. That's how bad PF has become; you are literally driving me to the competition.

**2.** What is *"the file name change issue in column view"*, can you please explain in more details, because I don't see any problem with that on my machine.

It's the issue that's been repeatedly reported but never dealt with; a recent report is here:

Click to rename (in column view) bug
    https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/120252-click-to-rename-in-column-view-bug

Finder---and Forklift---handle this just fine. So did PF4. And PF5. And PF6. And PF7. What on earth are you folks doing with PF8?

-Tom

11. Support Staff 7 Posted by Dragan on 07 May, 2019 09:30 PM

Tom,

For the love of God I can't reproduce that column view thing and I've haver could. Do you perhaps have some 3rd party utility that may be "stealing" mouse events? Also, if you just select a file in the column view and hit ENTER, does it enter renaming mode?

12. 8 Posted by loredo on 08 May, 2019 12:36 AM

Rarely, it actually does work, but not more than once in a row. I just launched PF8 and when I first tried a rename this way, it worked. But when I immediately tried again, it failed. And it's failed through a couple dozen subsequent attempts.

"Enter" works reliably.

Depending on what you mean by an app stealing mouse events, I may have several. I just quit the following: Alfred, Default Folder X, TextExpander, Overflow, KeyCue. This had no effect on PF behavior. I probably have another app or two that can get activated by a special key sequence, though none come to mind at the moment except Tembo, which launches if I hit Cmd-Opt-T. Is this the kind of thing you mean?

I just tried again, in a different PF window, and it worked twice in a row, but then stopped. Thinking maybe it was a new window thing, I tried it in another new window, but it continues to fail. So that brief success might have been a fluke.

13. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 May, 2019 09:01 PM

Hi Loredo,

Does it matter if you hold the mouse pressed for longer?

Could you make a screen recording of the issue and send it to us, please? 
      To make a screen recording please follow the steps below:
    1. Launch Finder>Applications>Quick Time Player.
    2. Tray Menu>File>New Screen Recording.

Best regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 May, 2019 09:01 PM.

15. loredo re-opened this discussion on 08 May, 2019 11:27 PM

16. 10 Posted by loredo on 08 May, 2019 11:27 PM

Hi Jordan-

17. Support Staff 11 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 09 May, 2019 01:26 AM

Hi Loredo,

The first click selects the file, second renames it. Could you please try that?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 May, 2019 01:26 AM.

19. loredo re-opened this discussion on 09 May, 2019 01:43 AM

20. 12 Posted by loredo on 09 May, 2019 01:43 AM

No content.

21. 13 Posted by grmrgecko on 11 May, 2019 02:45 PM

I think this may be related to Path Finder receiving a item to view. When I click Show in Finder in FireFox on a download, I get the following exception which Path Finder does not actually freeze until I close the window.

Path Finder.app: 8.3.9 (1928)

macOS Version 10.14.3 (Build 18D109) x86_64

NSInternalInconsistencyException

optimistic locking failure

0x7fff51fd4b57 0x7fff7be34720 0x7fff4fa5f2a0 0x7fff4fa25102 0x7fff4fa10edb 0x7fff4fa2284b 0x7fff7ceb4dcf 0x7fff7cec0a2c 0x7fff4fa22730 0x7fff4f94c571 0x7fff4f906006 0x7fff4f901db0 0x7fff4f808a22 0x7fff4f8de9ba 0x7fff4f8d4cf0 0x7fff4f8080fa 0x7fff4f832178 0x7fff5fb44b6e 0x7fff5fb43feb 0x7fff5fb43b14 0x7fff5fb43a8b 0x10ff17969 0x10ff179ae 0x7fff5fb4073f 0x7fff5fb6bdf6 0x7fff5fbe9071 0x7fff5fbe8ff7 0x7fff7ceb3d53 0x7fff7ceb4dcf 0x7fff7cebb124 0x7fff7cebbbdc 0x7fff7cec4090 0x7fff7d0f560b 0x7fff7d0f5405 0x700006b93bb0

NSExceptionHandlerExceptionRaiser (in ExceptionHandling) + 117
    objc_exception_throw (in libobjc.A.dylib) + 48
    _executeSaveChangesRequest (in CoreData) + 2320
    -NSSQLSaveChangesRequestContext executeRequestCore: + 18 -NSSQLStoreRequestContext executeRequestUsingConnection: + 219 __52-[NSSQLDefaultConnectionManager handleStoreRequest:]_block_invoke (in CoreData) + 75
    _dispatch_client_callout (in libdispatch.dylib) + 8
    _dispatch_lane_barrier_sync_invoke_and_complete (in libdispatch.dylib) + 60
    -NSSQLDefaultConnectionManager handleStoreRequest: + 336 -NSSQLCoreDispatchManager routeStoreRequest: + 273 -NSSQLCore dispatchRequest:withRetries: + 246 -NSSQLCore processSaveChanges:forContext: + 192 -NSSQLCore executeRequest:withContext:error: + 850 __65-[NSPersistentStoreCoordinator executeRequest:withContext:error:]_block_invoke (in CoreData) + 5274
    -NSPersistentStoreCoordinator _routeHeavyweightBlock: + 288 -NSPersistentStoreCoordinator executeRequest:withContext:error: + 1258 -NSManagedObjectContext save: + 1960 -ABManagedObjectContext save: + 424 -ABAddressBook nts_SaveWithFileLock:triggerSync: + 1109 -ABAddressBook saveAndTriggerSync: + 67 -ABAddressBook save + 43 -PHXCardDAVSource resetSyncTag + 180 -PHXCardDAVSource willUnload + 25 -PHXSource unload + 47 -ABAccountRepository replaceAccountWithIdentifier:shouldPostResetNotification: + 396 __69-[ABDataSourceExternalNotificationObserver distributedSourceChanged:]_block_invoke.50 (in AddressBookCore) + 68
    __69-[ABDataSourceExternalNotificationObserver distributedSourceChanged:]_block_invoke (in AddressBookCore) + 229
    _dispatch_call_block_and_release (in libdispatch.dylib) + 12
    _dispatch_client_callout (in libdispatch.dylib) + 8
    _dispatch_lane_serial_drain (in libdispatch.dylib) + 618
    _dispatch_lane_invoke (in libdispatch.dylib) + 388
    _dispatch_workloop_worker_thread (in libdispatch.dylib) + 603
    _pthread_wqthread (in libsystem_pthread.dylib) + 409
    start_wqthread (in libsystem_pthread.dylib) + 13
    0x700006b93bb0

22. 14 Posted by loredo on 11 May, 2019 06:13 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Freezes when closing a window---give PF 8 some love, please!

Hi Cocoatech-

I think this was intended for another developer rather than for me.

-Tom

23. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 May, 2019 12:30 PM.

24. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 12 May, 2019 12:48 PM

25. Support Staff 15 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 May, 2019 12:58 PM

Hi grmrgecko,

Thanks for reporting this. 

In our testing, this exception relatively frequently occurs with internet browsers but does not seem to affect (or even come from) the Path Finder itself. In particular, Path Finder does not need to access Address Book.

Would you be able to share any additional details, please?

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 May, 2019 12:58 PM.

27. grmrgecko re-opened this discussion on 13 May, 2019 01:20 AM

28. 16 Posted by grmrgecko on 13 May, 2019 01:20 AM

Hello Path Finder Support,

I'm sorry if this was unrelated to the topic at hand, I posted it here as Path Finder freezes when closing the window after the exception I posted occurs. I thought it may be related to this topic and thought I'd share.

The exception does not seem easily reproducible though. I was able to reproduce it yesterday multiple times, but now I'm having a hard time trying to make it occur again.

Thank you,

James Coleman

29. Support Staff 17 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 May, 2019 11:45 AM

Hi,

We still appreciate you sharing the info with us. Your feedback and support are what allows us to improve Path Finder.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

30. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 May, 2019 11:45 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac