After 18 years, I give up

I've been using PF since one of the very first releases of "Snax" — in other words, longer than I ever used the Finder. It's been an important part of how I've worked with Macs for close to 20 years. But lately, in particular with version 8, it's become less like a Finder plus and more like a Finder minus. It eats up HUGE amounts of memory (often, more than 50% of CPU according to App Tamer). It's sloooooow af: it sometimes takes seconds to open up a PF window. And the bugs, OMG: problems emptying the trash, problems calculating folder sizes, problems with featureless gray windows, problems with the font display on the Desktop, problems getting View settings to stick in windows. PF used to be fantastic, something I appreciated every day. Now I dread dealing with its "quirks."

What on earth happened?!

1. 1 Posted by jfitzpat8 on 15 Apr, 2019 06:34 AM

well yea what I think happen was that the window shortened became smaller. the focus now is not open its closed and now there are like restrictions so you cant fall off the universe you see. But in another way its a little wider. I dont know your operating system but I have mac 14.4 retina MOS Mojave. Have you worked with its cloud. I've been using this a long time too but now its like super confusing and such but its safer, Ive been dazzled internet style and its not nice. Have you every had all your stuff thrown in the trash, I did and it was hell. This program was the only one that saved me. Its hard but its ok. Keep workin Jim Fitz

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2019 02:13 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Apr, 2019 02:14 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 Apr, 2019 02:14 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed in our latest version.

Path Finder 8 began the rewriting effort. We are still working on improving Path Finder 8 to be better and more stable as well as making performance improvements. Moreover, we are still rewriting parts of the legacy code to ensure better performance and compatibility as well as ease of future maintenance. 

If you are experiencing issues, please let me know and I will be happy to work with you to resolve them or forward the info on the issues to our development team in order to be fixed. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2019 02:14 PM.

6. Satisfied Customer (at least I was...) re-opened this discussion on 15 Apr, 2019 03:21 PM

7. 3 Posted by Satisfied Custo... on 15 Apr, 2019 03:21 PM

Satisfied Customer (at least I was...)'s Avatar

I wish you all the best, but some of these issues are major. They've been kicking around for a long time, and have persisted through several updates on your end and clean re-installs of PF on my end, or reappeared out of the blue. It's hard to imagine what Cocoatech would need to do to reduce such an immense memory footprint down to something acceptable. I'll check back in a year or so, but for now I'd urge you all to think seriously about where PF has gone wrong.

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 17 Apr, 2019 01:53 PM

Hi,

Do you get the memory footprints reliably or randomly? Is this something common?

May I ask you to send us a sample (a snapshot) of PathFinder process in a separate file if you encounter it again? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Apr, 2019 01:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac