Bottom shelf in Path Finder 8 with Default Folder

tatami

30 Mar, 2019 06:50 AM

I'm guessing that I'm not alone in using Default Folder as well as Path Finder. Recently I noticed in Default Folder's General Preferences tab an option to "Add drawer button to Finder toolbars." Like others, I've been missing the sliding drawer function of Path FInder 7 so I wondered whether the Default Folder drawer could be made work with Path Finder 8 – almost as a proof of concept. So I got in contact with St Clair Software and they sent me the following instructions:

1. Locate Default Folder X in your Applications folder.
  2. Control-click on the Default Folder X application and choose "Show package contents" from the contextual menu.
  3. Within the application package, navigate to the Contents folder, then to the Resources folder.
  4. Locate the DFX application and the DFX Drawer application in that folder. Drag each one to Path Finder's toolbar.

I'm no programmer, but this suggests to me that it should be possible to reinstate sliding drawers in Path Finder 8.

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Mar, 2019 12:58 PM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 30 Mar, 2019 12:58 PM

3. 1 Posted by JMichaelTX on 30 Mar, 2019 03:39 PM

it should be possible to reinstate [Default Folder X] sliding drawers in Path Finder 8.

I too would very much like this feature.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2019 07:44 AM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 31 Mar, 2019 07:45 AM

6. 2 Posted by dhnyny on 01 Apr, 2019 12:22 PM

I won't switch from PF7 to PF8 unless Cocoatech restores the ability to toggle modules off and on with a single toolbar click. I understand the advantages of the module concept over the old shelf concept but being able to open and close modules with a single click (and to make module settings sticky so activating a module restores it to its last-used state) is something I'm not willing to live without.

It really is kind of amazing that this is even an issue. I cannot think of a single application that behaves the way PF8 does in this regard. Think of all the applications that use toolbars and that let you customize them. Is there a single application that lets you customize a toolbar but that deletes all customizations if you hide the toolbar? Of course not.

7. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 01 Apr, 2019 12:41 PM

Hi,

Path Finder also preservers toolbar customizations if you hide them. 
    However, modules are more like tool panels than toolbars, and those are often added and dismissed as you need them.

That being said, I can see how the "shelves"-like structure may be quite convenient. 
    For now, the workaround is to change the width of side modules or heights of top/bottom modules to minimize the space occupied. 
    I will submit a feature request to allow groups of modules (i.e. all modules to the left/right/top/bottom) to be hidden with a toolbar button or a shortcut.

If you have any improvements to this suggestion or any related suggestions, please do share them with us. I will be happy to record and forward your suggestions to our development team.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Apr, 2019 12:41 PM.

9. dhnyny re-opened this discussion on 01 Apr, 2019 02:34 PM

10. 4 Posted by dhnyny on 01 Apr, 2019 02:34 PM

I can see how that workaround could work. But it is ridiculous that a workaround is needed at all.

As I said, until this key functionality, which countless users have demanded, is restored, I won't switch to PF8. As long as PF7 continues to work, I can't see any reason to "upgrade" to a version that does less of what I need.

11. 5 Posted by efrancos on 02 Apr, 2019 05:13 AM

I completely agree with dhnyn's opinion.
    Toggling the display of modules is an essential part of my workflow too, and it doesn't seem to me too difficult to add toolbar and keyboard shortcuts to restore/remove left/right/bottom configured modules.
    Claiming that "modules are more like tool panels than toolbars" justifies not being able to toggle them doesn't hold. I work with many programs that allow that for their tool panels, and they are right.
    Come on guys, listen to your users, and many of them have been asking for this functionality to upgrade to PF8. By the way, I already bought a PF8 license, but I downgraded to PF7 pending this issue.

12. 6 Posted by dhnyny on 02 Apr, 2019 11:58 AM

I, too, paid for an upgrade and then reverted to PF7 for this reason. The "tool panel" rationale doesn't hold up by its own terms. And even if it were accurate it wouldn't justify an obviously user-unfriendly design.

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2019 12:02 PM.

14. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Apr, 2019 12:02 PM

15. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 Apr, 2019 12:03 PM

Hi,

I have forwarded this feature request for consideration to our developers so that it could be implemented in one of our future cycles.

Make sure to let us know should any further questions/ideas arise. 

Best regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2019 12:03 PM.

17. tatami re-opened this discussion on 03 Apr, 2019 08:49 PM

18. 8 Posted by tatami on 03 Apr, 2019 08:49 PM

Thank you, Jordan. Judging by the volume of posts from users desperate for the return of drawer functionality for the modules, I'm hoping your developers will put this at or near the top of their list of priorities and that we'll see results soon.

19. 9 Posted by efrancos on 03 Apr, 2019 09:01 PM

Excellent news ! Thanks.
    As soon as you get that functionality implemented I'll be able to start using Version 8, and letting you know about more ideas ;-)

20. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Apr, 2019 09:53 PM.

21. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Apr, 2019 09:53 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac