PF8 keeps opening blank windows

D. J. Lewis

28 Mar, 2019 06:22 PM

I keep getting completely blank PF8 windows opening. Happens reliably whenever I have PF8 windows minimized in the Dock and none currently active. Occurs using "New Browser" command from the Dock icon, drag-and-drop of file/directory from another app onto Dock icon, PF8 Reveal app invocation from toolbar item in a Finder.

And once you have a blank window trying to open a new browser from that simply propagates emptiness.

Completely broken, these use cases always worked in PF7 and earlier versions. If I open a new browser window I should get my standard browser views layout opened on the Starting Directory specified in preference settings. The PF8 rewrite has seriously degraded a previously bulletproof tool.
Why is this basic usage scenario not already fixed????

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 May, 2019 04:19 PM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 May, 2019 11:59 PM

3. Support Staff 31 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 May, 2019 11:59 PM

Hi dadurka, Brian, loredo and anyone with the beta experiencing blank window issue.

If you still experience blank windows on 8.5 beta 6 or later, please do the following:

• If you have at least one normal window, please close all other windows, and then select the normal window as your active one.

• If you don't have any normal windows (every window is blank), please go to ~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings folder and delete files setting, settings-shm and settings-wal from there. Unfortunately, that will lead to losing some other module settings, that you eventually customized. I'm sorry about that.

Once you do that, you should not get blank windows anymore.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

4. 32 Posted by loredo on 14 May, 2019 01:32 AM

Thanks for the tip, Jordan. I've saved it in case it happens again.

-Tom

5. 33 Posted by dadurka on 14 May, 2019 05:42 AM

Carefully deleted setting, settings-shm and settings-wal files, but with no results – PF8.5b8 keeps opening blank windows after macOS restart :-(

In order to reproduce the situation, open at least TWO PF windows, restart Mac and try open PF.

6. 34 Posted by D. J. Lewis on 14 May, 2019 03:46 PM

dadurka's scenario opens a properly populated window for me with PF8.5b6; I haven't had any blank windows since installing b6. Running on a macbook pro on High Sierra 10.13.5/6.

7. 35 Posted by Virginijus Dadu... on 15 May, 2019 06:51 AM

I'm using macOS Mojave on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) with 2,6 GHz and 16GB RAM.
    The situation with frozen windows repeats with 100% certainty.
    NOTE. In order to reproduce, you must have 2+ active PF windows just before restart. Single active PF window just before restart is OK.

Sincerely Virginijus Dadurkevičius

8. Support Staff 36 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 May, 2019 12:15 PM

Hi Virginijus,

Which exact versions of macOS and Path FInder do you have installed?

Could you send us another sample (a snapshot) of PathFinder process in a separate file? Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 May, 2019 12:15 PM.

10. Virginijus Dadurkevičius re-opened this discussion on 16 May, 2019 07:55 AM

11. 37 Posted by Virginijus Dadu... on 16 May, 2019 07:55 AM

I'm using PF 8.5b8 (1947) on macOS Mojave (10.14.4) on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) with 2,6 GHz and 16GB RAM.

Here is sample (a snapshot) of PathFinder process.

12. 38 Posted by Pete on 16 May, 2019 05:21 PM

Having similar issues and I JUST BOUGHT PATHFINDER!

macOS Mojave 10.14.4

2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch

Clear/blank windows and when I try to take a screenshot they turn red, so I had to take picture with my iphone.

13. Support Staff 39 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 16 May, 2019 05:32 PM

Hi Pete,

We believe we've fixed this. If you don't mind trying beta version, the fix is already available in the beta (which also brings many new things and improvements regarding file copy/move/delete/compress/expand operations).
    You can download the beta here, or you can update your current copy to it, just hold alt/opt key while checking for updates and then follow the standard update procedure.

If you still experience blank windows on 8.5 beta 6 or later, please do the following:

• If you have at least one normal window, please close all other windows, and then select the normal window as your active one.

• If you don't have any normal windows (every window is blank), please go to ~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings folder and delete files setting, settings-shm and settings-wal from there. Unfortunately, that will lead to losing some other module settings, that you eventually customized. I'm sorry about that.

Once you do that, you should not get blank windows anymore.

Please, let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 May, 2019 05:32 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac