Is there a right-click (context menu) action to "open in new tab in 2nd pane" ?

Richard Hoefer

21 Mar, 2019 08:02 AM

I am brand new to Path Finder. I've searched but did not see this topic covered, but I probably am not using correct terms?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Mar, 2019 10:30 PM

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the suggestion!

I'm afraid there is no such option yet. 
    I have forwarded your message to our developers as a feature request for consideration so that it could be implemented in one of our future cycles.

Make sure to let us know should any further questions/ideas arise. 

Best regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Mar, 2019 10:30 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 21 Mar, 2019 10:55 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Mar, 2019 10:57 PM

Hi Richard,

There is, however, a hotkey that does just that. You can find it in View -> Browse in next pane (F3). It works only if you already have dual pane browsing enabled.

Best regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Mar, 2019 10:57 PM.

6. Richard Hoefer re-opened this discussion on 22 Mar, 2019 12:40 PM

7. 3 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 22 Mar, 2019 01:23 PM

Thank you Jordan. That's very useful to me, i appreciate your digging further. What I discovered is that, also, it is easy enough to "open in new tab", then manually drag it into the 2nd pane if need be.

Incidentally, though this is off-topic, having experimented a few days now with Path Finder, and having found it to offer so many of the features I had only dreamt about for decades, I have been mentally refining my "Standard Configuration" for most common everday use cases. Of course, the beauty of Path Finder is the amazing versatility it offers users to configure for everyone's individual use cases. But nevertheless, my emerging model still requires my modifying Path Finder to mimic my preferences:

In the screenshot below, this is my current "best standard", where the key feature is an ICON-ONLY "favorites" vertical column (Column 3)— a modified "Sidebar" eliminating text. This is my primary drag-drop-to palette where I file away stuff I have placed on my Desktop during an everyday browsing session— including downloaded DMGs, PDFs, Google Drive and Google Photos downloads etc, plus assorted web links and screenshots. This handles 90% of the day's incoming new files, with the other 10% coming from photo editing, video editing, text editing files that are in their designated media-type file folders (all of which have custom-icons to more easily identify them at a glance vs having to read a label).

Screenshots
    Links
    PNGs, Photos, Images
    Configuration and settings files for various apps I use and want to backup / protect from crash, so i can match these configs on my other Macs
    Tech Help files from web and Youtube.
    Audio files from customer service phone calls
    Voicermails from Google Voice
    Video Call Meeting Sessions
    and so on.

That icon-based column is now eliminating the need for the feature I initially asked about in this thread— where initially I was using LEFT PANE to be my "drag & drop to" targets for quick-filing. Which meant I was more or less dedicating that Pane to be fixed, in List View. And the Right pane gave me a more granular "cascading" sub-folder access without disrupting my top-level content categories information architecture.

So, by now having 90% of my daily routine filing handled by the fixed ICON COLUMN (col 3), I still want to preserve my basic usage strategy for Panes 1 and 2. I know it is a matter of taste & indiv preference, but I am just sharing that's all:

For me: LEFT PANE is always "fixed" into LIST VIEW or Icon view — but no sliding columns where I lose visual focus wasting time scrolling horizontally. Typically the Left Pane will be my SOURCE pane, and the right pane is DESTINATION.

The RIGHT PANE is always in COLUMN VIEW with easy sub-folder viewing. And if I have to use column view to locate a buried source file, I will do it in Pane 2, leaving the Left Pane to be constant. I can then SWAP panes if need be.

Summarizing my primary use case:

• ICON COLUMN is the drag-to target for 90% of my incoming files for the day. • LEFT PANE is really just the expansion of icon column, my top-level information design always visible, but almost always my Source for file actions • RIGHT PANE is my Destination actions pane, finding buried stuff, to copy/move from or to.

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Mar, 2019 03:39 PM

Hi Richard,

Got you. To sum it up, you would like to submit the following feature request towards the "ICON COLUMN":
    1) Allow Sidebar "favorites" to accept files in addition to folders
    2) Option to disable file/folder names in Sidebar

Is that correct?

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Mar, 2019 03:39 PM.

10. Richard Hoefer re-opened this discussion on 22 Mar, 2019 04:40 PM

11. 5 Posted by Richard Hoefer on 22 Mar, 2019 04:40 PM

Yes, that's exactly right with one additional spec:

No minimal column width... Or, more practically speaking, width = icon
    pixel size + padding left & right. So, for example, if icons are sized
    24x24, then resulting width would be maybe 30pixels wide, with no interface
    "chrome" top or bottom.

PS I really appreciate your amazing responsiveness... Very uncommon, and
    really super helpful that a support rep actually knows the product through
    and through. My guess is that you are more than just a support rep 

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Mar, 2019 05:04 PM

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your kind feedback!

I will forward your message to our developers as a feature request for consideration so that it could be implemented in one of our future cycles.

Make sure to let us know should any further questions/ideas arise. 

Best regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Mar, 2019 05:04 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac