Keyboard mapping - more keys

igor

29 Apr, 2013 08:59 PM

Hey Path Finders,

i would like to map ctrl + tab to switch between tabs (as it is natural in eg browsers).

But i am not able to map this shortcut.

How? Please fix this :)

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 29 Apr, 2013 09:54 PM

According to this KB entry, there are some reserved hotkeys. At the end of the article you can read:

Like in Finder, we want to avoid key combinations relying strictly on alt/opt and ctrl keys (without the cmd key involved), as those two keys are used to modify behavior (title and command) of a single menu item.

As a suggestion try Command [ and Command ] or Command - and Command = for previous/next tab. It's a one hand operation and you'll be navigating tabs like a pro.

2. 2 Posted by igor on 30 Apr, 2013 06:01 AM

And how about to add a 'advanced' flag, so people can disable Finder-oriented approach? Please note that ctrl+tab is tab switching shortcut in about every other application i've tried (browsers, editors...). So its not about finding the alternative hotkey, its about using common shortcuts.

Please do not restrict users on such small functionalities. If you want PowerFinder to be used by power user, you should be aware that they would use in the ways Apple Finder team didn't think about. Moreover, don't try to mimic Finder much (at least when 2-pane window is on). Finder obviously is not powerful file manager, or path finder would not exist:) Just a friendly advice from guy who still remembers he was using Norton Commander and then Dos Navigator in old DOS :)

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 30 Apr, 2013 09:45 AM

I understand but these are decisions of Cocoatech as a company, I'm just a support volunteer. Everyone would change something in their favorite apps to improve them but we're already lucky as it is. At least, keyboard shortcuts can be edited.

But I understand your enthusiasm. After all, I'm also from the days of Disk Master and Directory Opus on the Amiga.

4. Damazio closed this discussion on 01 May, 2013 03:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac