Path Finder: Can't open app from unknown developer

janke

29 Apr, 2013 03:04 PM

Hi, Cocoatech folks,

In Path Finder, I can't find a way to tell OS X to go ahead and run an application downloaded from an unknown developer. In this particular case, I just downloaded GIMP from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/, and installed it to /Applications. I have my Security preferences set to "Allow applications downloaded from: Mac App Store and identified developers", to be conservative.

When I double-click on GIMP to open it for the first time in either Finder or Path Finder, I get an error message saying "GIMP can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" and just an OK button to dismiss the dialog; the app doesn't run. The way I get around this in Finder is to right-click the file and choose "Open" explicitly. This brings up an alternate dialog that gives me "Open" and "Cancel", so I can get OS X to run it, and it will remember that choice for subsequent invocation attempts.

How can I do this in Path Finder? I don't see an "Open" choice in the right-click menu for applications, just an "Open With" submenu, which doesn't give this particular functionality.

Cheers,
Andrew

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 29 Apr, 2013 03:26 PM

Hi Andrew. Path Finder doesn't support this yet but I notified the dev team. In the mean time, you'll have to reveal the app in Finder and go from there.

2. 2 Posted by janke on 29 Apr, 2013 03:33 PM

Okay, no prob. Just looking forward to when I can do a total switch over. Thanks!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 30 Apr, 2013 01:26 PM

This feature IS actually available since version 6.1.3. In order to get the choice to explicitly "Open" application from unidentified developer, you have to use Open menu item in the contextual menu (see image context.png), or the same menu item in the Action button (see image action.png). You can also use Open with… menu item on both places (context menu, action menu) and than choose any subitem (of course, since it's an application you want to open, you should ideally choose either Finder or Path Finder when using Open with… subitems).

You first have to put those menu items in the context and/or action menu (see image context_prefs.png) before using them.

4. Dragan closed this discussion on 30 Apr, 2013 01:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac