Per-folder sort options

matt

29 Apr, 2013 02:31 PM

With an app as powerful as Path Finder, there must be a way to do what I need, but I'm not finding it.

In Finder, I can set the Downloads folder to be sorted by date added with most recent items at the top. Whenever I visit this folder by clicking the sidebar shortcut, it displays with these sort settings, no matter how my other folders are sorted. I don't seem to be able to do this in Path Finder. Is there a way? I don't want to sort all my folders in this way, just the Downloads folder.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 29 Apr, 2013 03:31 PM

Please see the Set different view options for individual folders section here.

Cheers.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 29 Apr, 2013 03:31 PM.

3. matt re-opened this discussion on 29 Apr, 2013 04:04 PM

4. 2 Posted by matt on 29 Apr, 2013 04:04 PM

Well, that explains why it's not working for me. This is not available in column view?

5. 3 Posted by Damazio on 29 Apr, 2013 04:24 PM

No because you can't get into a folder in Column view, like in Finder.

6. 4 Posted by matt on 29 Apr, 2013 04:36 PM

In Finder, I click "Downloads" in the sidebar, and it gives me the Downloads folder sorted like I want in a presentation that makes it look like this is the root folder, although it also shows me the full path. This appears to be the same behavior as Path Finder gives me, and yet in Finder I can have that action give me a custom sorted Downloads folder, but not in Path Finder.

I guess I don't see the reason for the limitation, as they both seem to function the same up until the sorting point.

7. 5 Posted by Damazio on 29 Apr, 2013 04:40 PM

Is it sorting or the Lion-introduced Arrange by feature you're talking about? Also, can you have different sortings for multiple folders using Column view in Finder?

I'll test it out when I get home and get back to you.

8. 6 Posted by matt on 29 Apr, 2013 04:49 PM

It appears to be both: Arrange by Date Added, and sort with newest at the top.

It doesn't always show the Downloads folder this way.

1. If I select the home folder in column view, and then select Downloads, it displays in the standard sort format.
    2. If I select the sidebar shortcut, it displays in Downloads Arrange/sort settings.
    3. If I click on the Downloads icon in the dock and do "open in Finder" it shows the Downloads Arrange/sort settings.

So basically, in Finder Column view uses the sort settings of whatever the top-level folder in the current view is. What I mean by that is that Downloads is not the top-level folder, but when you select it in the sidebar it's the top-level folder for that view. So then Downloads and any subfolders in that particular view window take on the arrangement prefs for the Downloads folder. But if I click Home in the sidebar, Home is the top-level folder for that particular view window so any subfolders in that view take on the home sort settings.

9. 7 Posted by Damazio on 29 Apr, 2013 04:53 PM

Firstly the Arrange by feature must make a difference since it's not available in Path Finder yet (there's an open suggestion ticket for it which I'll attach to this conversation). Secondly, maybe the Downloads folder has a privileged role when accessing it from Finder (or the Dock, since they have a close relationship). I mean, what if I select the Downloads folder in the Sidebar and don't want that special sorting? Is it possible?

10. 8 Posted by matt on 29 Apr, 2013 04:56 PM

It depends on your settings. It uses whatever my Arrange By and Sort settings are for that folder, for any folder.

So I can take any random folder and apply those settings to it. If I navigate to it through other folders in column view, it takes on the settings of the parent. But if I click on it in the sidebar, it takes on the Arrange and Sort settings for that folder. It doesn't have to be the Downloads folder, it's just that the Downloads folder is the one I want to sort that way.

11. 9 Posted by Damazio on 29 Apr, 2013 05:01 PM

OK, thanks for the follow-up, Matt. I'll get back to you on this.

12. 10 Posted by Damazio on 29 Apr, 2013 09:41 PM

If I navigate to it through other folders in column view, it takes on the settings of the parent. But if I click on it in the sidebar, it takes on the Arrange and Sort settings for that folder.

OK, Matt. I was right to guess that the Arrange by feature came to fill the gap of not being able to perform different sorts for Column view (when you enable Arrange by, the Sort by gets grayed out). Your description made all the difference for my testing purposes.

The mentioned ticket is attached so we'll notify you when there's an update from the dev team.

13. Damazio closed this discussion on 30 Apr, 2013 11:59 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac