keyboard shortcut problem

raul

20 Apr, 2012 08:06 PM

I want to create a shortcut to open the selection files with a specific app. Normally I haven't problems with shortcut but, when the shortcut is for a app in menu [ commands ->openwith -> Applications ], when I reboot mac or pathfinder, the shortcut goes away. This is because the menu [commands ->openwith] is only active when files are selected, and if I close and open pathfinder, the "open with" menu recalculates each time applications inside it.

In conclusion, I want a shortcut to open various selected files with a program, and the shortcut remain when I reboot. solutions???

thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 20 Apr, 2012 09:59 PM

The Open With menu is dynamic, like you point out, so it's not possible to assign a hotkey to a specific item.

The only solution I can think of is to make an Automator Action as a Service that gets the selection from Path Finder and opens it with a specific app. From there, in OS X's System Preferences > Keyboard, you can set a hotkey for a specific Service.
    Or make an AppleScript and then use FastScripts, Butler, Quicksilver, etc. to assign a hotkey to that script.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 20 Apr, 2012 09:59 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac