available diskspace incorrect

Arthur Douwes

29 Jan, 2019 05:40 PM

Recently I bought a new Macbook Pro with Mojave. I was working on a few iMovie projects which used up 73GB in the iMovie Library dir.

After deleting the projects the files where removed but Path Finder didn't add the space to the available number. That stayed at 47GB. Also the command 'df -H /' in a terminal said 47GB. So at first I thought the space was still occupied.

However the command 'du -ksx /' showed only 79GB used on a 250GB disk.

On closer inspection Disk Utility gave me more information: 166GB available of which 119GB purgeable. The difference is exactly 47GB.

The disk has an APFS Encrypted file system.

Is this something new in Mojave because Path Finder doesn't add the purgeable space to the total?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 Jan, 2019 11:16 AM

Hi Arthur, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

PathFinder reports the real used space including the backups (snapshots), cache, recently deleted (moved) files etc, 
    while Finder cheats a bit by excluding them from the used figure, assuming they are temporary.
    Sometimes people and macOS itself refer to this space as Purgeable. 
    You can’t manually remove the files that are designated as Purgeable, but your system removes them when additional space is requested by you. 

You can use third-party tools like DaisyDisk in order to deal with Purgeable space on macOS. 

Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2019 11:16 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac