App Translocation (com.apple.quarantine extended attribute) in PF8

bernhard.bockelbrink

21 Jan, 2019 11:23 AM

Over the last couple of days, set up a new Macbook with High Sierra, and one of the first things I installed was Path Finder 8, which I then used to install most of my other apps. I ran into the issues described in http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/43995-app-translo... (a thread that is now 2 years old).

I had to fix that manually for around 60 apps and their updaters by removing com.apple.quarantine from the terminal, but I believe that Cocoatech should do something to fix that problem. It's definitely possible, because it works in Forklift.

So even if Path Finder will not attempt to manipulate com.apple.quarantine, it definitely needs to do this:

1) Warn the user when they attempt to drag an app into /Applications (or a subdirectory) and recommend to use Finder.
2) extend the file info dialog to show extended attributes (and maybe even offer a way to clear them)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Jan, 2019 11:31 AM

Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for your feedback! 

I'm sorry that this issue wasn't addressed so far. 
    Your suggestions make perfect sense, I'm forwarding your message to our developers. 

Don't hesitate to contact us should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Jan, 2019 11:31 AM.

3. bernhard.bockelbrink re-opened this discussion on 21 Jan, 2019 10:17 PM

4. 2 Posted by bernhard.bockel... on 21 Jan, 2019 10:17 PM

I created three services in Automator that can be used to remedy the situation until the Cocoatech developers find the time to do something, I attached them to this message because it might help somebody.

The service Query Extended Attributes simply queries and displays all extended attributes for all selected items, Query quarantine xattr lists all items in a selection that have the quarantine attribute, and Remove xattr (which should be called 'Remove quarantine xattr') removes the quarantine attribute from all files in a selection.

Be prepared to wait a minute or two for results if you run a services on all items in /Applications, it's pretty slow to query extended attributes the way I did it.

To install, unpack the archive and double click those services you want to install, the services then appear in the context menu of Path Finder, Forklift or Finder. Remember to never install services from random dudes you just met on the internet!

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2019 08:42 AM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Jan, 2019 08:42 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac