Any problem with concurrent version 7 and 8 installs?

bobzef

20 Jan, 2019 08:25 PM

Hi,

I am testing version 8 on secondary machine. This is a separate purchase of version 8, not an upgrade of version 7. I simply renamed version 7 to "Path Finder 7" and installed version 8 as "Path Finder" in the Applications folder. I don't plan to ever run both versions at the same time. Will there be any problems with switching between the two as needed?

I'd like to start experimenting with version 8 on my main machine, but give myself the escape hatch of just using version 7 whenever I need to.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Jan, 2019 07:50 AM

Hi, 

Switching from PF7 to PF8 should work fine. 

Most of the time, PF7 will work fine after switching back from PF8, but if you made some certain changes in settings, it may just hang after launch, not showing any window.
    If you want to go back using PF7, you may need to delete folder "~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings/Data Store", where "~" is your home folder.
    After that PF7 will work fine. 

We also recommend disabling the automatic update checker in Path Finder (7) > Preferences > General. 

Be sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Jan, 2019 07:50 AM.

3. bobzef re-opened this discussion on 21 Jan, 2019 03:59 PM

4. 2 Posted by bobzef on 21 Jan, 2019 03:59 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

Will deleting the Data Store directory cause me to have to redo my PF7 settings when returning to it?

Do you know which settings changes in PF8 might cause the problem?

5. 3 Posted by bobzef on 22 Jan, 2019 05:50 PM

Don't feel pressured to answer these last questions on my account. I took a backup of my PF7 preferences from before the install, so I'll be OK if the problem you describe arises.

As an aside, I've already had to use PF7 to cater for a problem in PF8. I like to have my Apple Terminals opening in new windows rather than new tabs. I have to make that setting change in PF7 to have it apply to PF8. Changing the setting in PF8 doesn't seem to have any effect. I see others have reported this PF8 issue, so I won't post a new thread on that.

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2019 09:43 AM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Jan, 2019 09:44 AM

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 Jan, 2019 09:44 AM

Hi, 

I'm sorry that you are forced to use the legacy version for different workarounds. 
    Unfortunately, I can't confirm which exact preferences might cause this. 

Thank you for being so patient and understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2019 09:44 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac