Duplicate finder?

Paul King

15 Apr, 2013 12:21 AM

Hi, am currently in trial mode.
I have 5 hard drives with many files / folders replicated over many generations of OSX and at least 5 mac machines. Yes, it is a shambles! And No, the backups are not well organised! We are talking about 8 Tb of data (home use, mostly music-iTunes and raw photos -Lightroom is primary software).
Is Pathfinder of any immediate use to assist me, other than the fantastic dual pane etc. Is there any ability to find dupes, not necessarily to delete, but to evaluate where the latest or largest versions are of libraries?
If no, can you recommend anything, as there is a lot of average stuff out there.
And yes, your programme is going to be my primary finder. Thanks
Cheers
Paul

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 16 Apr, 2013 01:23 PM

Hi Paul.

Path Finder doesn't have a dedicated dupe finder function but you can open the Find window (Command + F), select Computer (all connected drives) at the top location bar and search by filename, extension, modified date, etc. If you then sort the results by name, at least file name duplicates will show next to each other.

Cheers.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 17 Apr, 2013 10:11 AM.

3. Damazio re-opened this discussion on 18 Apr, 2013 02:28 PM

4. 2 Posted by Bob on 18 Apr, 2013 09:02 PM

Path Finder does have a feature that can list folders and files by size, which may help you to find the largest versions in your libraries. Go to Window>Size Browser.

Put your glasses on, because the font size is minuscule!

5. 3 Posted by Damazio on 19 Apr, 2013 10:30 PM

The Size Browser is meant to show you which files/folders are taking the most space on your HD, like utilities such as DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective (without the fancy graphs). You can't even change the size sorting order or sort by name which makes it very hard to find duplicates.

The Find window can show/sort the same as Size Browser and plenty more.

6. 4 Posted by Bob on 20 Apr, 2013 12:14 AM

Paul said he wanted to "evaluate where the latest or largest versions are of libraries."
    A simple way to find the largest versions is to use the Size Browser. Find can do more and will show nested files, but also includes several columns that may be distracting and unwanted if all you want to do is check sizes. Find also shows some garbage: I just ran Find on an external drive, the only filter I set was to only search for visible files. However, it still shows a bunch of Spotlight files that are not visible (see screenshots).

I don't know about DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective, but Size Browser functions like the $13 WhatSize does, showing only the sizes - very clean and simple. But it needs a larger font.

7. Damazio closed this discussion on 23 Apr, 2013 01:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac