Issue moving files from afpfs to exfat

Eric Doughty-Papassideris

28 Dec, 2018 06:28 PM

Hello,
  The email I used when purchasing PF was eric.doughty+pathfinder@gmail.com <mailto:eric.doughty+pathfinder@gmail.com> .

When I move a file to an exfat mount from an afpfs network share, the operation completes immediately, creates a 0-bytes file with the right name and deletes the original. This is extremely annoying. Running the undo command expectedly deletes the moved file, but only creates a 0-byte file at the source and doesn’t restore the file. So when you move to an exfat mount, PF just deletes the file completely and reports success. I would very much like to be informed if/when you fix this issue please.

Best regards,
Eric.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Dec, 2018 07:38 AM

Hi Eric, 

Please follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Make sure that Path Finder is located in the Applications folder
      (in case you are using macOS Mojave) Use System Preferences > Security & Privacy > grant Full Disk Access to Path Finder

2. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

3. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Dec, 2018 07:38 AM.

3. Eric Doughty-Papassideris re-opened this discussion on 29 Dec, 2018 09:03 AM

4. 2 Posted by Eric Doughty-Pa... on 29 Dec, 2018 09:03 AM

Hi,
      So it didn’t have the quarantine attribute, but adding to full disk access seems to have to done it, thanks. Though jeez dudes, that’s a horrible failure mode. I’m also confident it never requested to be added to that security thing. Anyway thanks, happy holidays ++

5. 3 Posted by Eric Doughty-Pa... on 29 Dec, 2018 10:46 AM

No actually this worked for a single file but not a folder copy. (I don’t dare use move in that fs combination anymore - anything without exfat works fine though). The copy created 0-byte files and copied no data. Still a very fucked up failure mode.

Also please delete or edit this correspondance as you’ve exposed it to the web, I would rather a valid email to my account not be harvestable please

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Dec, 2018 01:23 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Dec, 2018 01:24 PM

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Dec, 2018 01:24 PM

Hi Eric, 

First of all, this is a private discussion. 
    It's available only to you. 
    I can remove it per your request as soon as we close this case. 

Would you like to follow the instructions on cleaning up PF preferences and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Delete Path Finder and its traces according to the article: 
      http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/how-...
    2. Download the latest version of the app from our site
    3. Launch Path Finder and move it to the Apps folder as the app suggests

Let me know how it goes. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Dec, 2018 01:24 PM.

10. Eric Doughty-Papassideris re-opened this discussion on 30 Dec, 2018 03:03 AM

11. 5 Posted by Eric Doughty-Pa... on 30 Dec, 2018 03:03 AM

Yes that would be nice, thank you for offering to delete it. It didn’t need authentication when I clicked the link, so I assume it isn’t entirely private.

This delete all my settings in PF and changed nothing about the move problem, this is most unfortunate. Are you unable to reproduce ?

Regards,
    E

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 31 Dec, 2018 10:04 AM

Hi Eric, 

Not yet, but I'm submitting this discussion to our developers for further investigation. 
    The discussion will be deleted now. Make sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 Dec, 2018 10:04 AM.

14. Eric Doughty-Papassideris re-opened this discussion on 16 Mar, 2019 05:05 PM

15. 7 Posted by Eric Doughty-Pa... on 16 Mar, 2019 05:05 PM

This corruption of files that path finder is really unacceptable. It’s still not corrected. Is there an ETA on it ? If not I want a refund as the application is not only not performing what you say it does, it’s fucking up my files.

16. Support Staff 8 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Mar, 2019 10:00 AM

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply!

We are still investigating this issue to identify the root cause.

May I ask you to double-check if this behavior does not occur outside fo Path Finder? For example, are you able to copy files to exFAT volume using FInder without corruption?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

17. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Mar, 2019 10:00 AM.

Re-open and reply to this closed discussion or start a new discussion →

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac