grep files in the selected folder

bruce.edge

26 Mar, 2013 02:12 AM

How can I filter files in the current folder with a grep expression?
IOW, I want to search for a string in all files in the current folder, without having to open a terminal at that location and manually run grep.

Can I get the 'search' box to grep inside files instead of matching file names?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 12 Apr, 2013 11:38 AM

That's not possible at the moment. There's already a feature request to improve search box functionality, e.g by including wildcard characters '*', '?' and so on, so I'll assign your request to that ticket. However, implementing complete grep-like functionality is much broader request. We'll consider doing it, but it won't be of a very high priority at the moment.

2. Dragan closed this discussion on 12 Apr, 2013 11:39 AM.

3. bruce.edge re-opened this discussion on 12 Apr, 2013 07:46 PM

4. 2 Posted by bruce.edge on 12 Apr, 2013 07:46 PM

I did find the Cmd-F search dialog, which does this to some extent with literal strings, but it appears to only work on local folders that have been indexed by spotlight.
    I'm accessing files over OSXfuse and it refuses to search these files at all. All searches turn up empty.
    Is there some option to force an actual search based on $PWD and files therein rather than relying on spotlight?
    Maybe it's not spotlight related and it's just with OSXfuse that it refuses to find files based on content.
    Either way, some grep-like functionality over OSXfuse will determine whether I buy after the eval or not.

Thanks

-Bruce

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 14 Apr, 2013 07:39 PM

Cmd+F panel also has so-called old style (non-Spotlight search), just select it from the toolbar (see attached images spotlight.png and old_style.png). Perhaps it will suit your needs to a certain extent. That's all we offer at the moment regarding file searching.

6. Dragan closed this discussion on 14 Apr, 2013 07:39 PM.

7. bruce.edge re-opened this discussion on 14 Apr, 2013 07:52 PM

8. 4 Posted by bruce.edge on 14 Apr, 2013 07:52 PM

Thanks for the info, but the non-spotlight search does not have any file content filters.

Is there any mechanism to pipe selected files through an external filter then view the results?

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dragan on 14 Apr, 2013 07:55 PM

Unfortunately, no :-(

10. Tom closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2013 06:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac