Why do you use PathFinder?

Tony Diaz

14 Nov, 2018 11:07 PM

For me, the top draw are very few of the features.

A Drag Rectangle in View Mode that works properly.
A (used to be) much better Find function than what Apple's StopLight integration provided.
Sidebar settings that stay put and support mounted shares completely, transparently.
The ability to merge directories during copy.

I'd be curious to see a poll on feature/function usage.

Every time I try to get into the rest of it I find I've got to eventually uninstall PF8 completely and start over.

PathFinder used to run rings around Finder. It's quite the opposite now.

It's become to where I use it sparingly as a "utility" much less than full time.

In fact, the 8.3.3 update just plain wouldn't run. It quits first thing. 8.3.4 didn't fix it.

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Nov, 2018 10:44 AM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Nov, 2018 10:44 AM

3. 1 Posted by David Martin on 15 Nov, 2018 03:55 PM

I don't use PF8; it's a total bust. I migrated backwards to PF7 (which works fine under Mojave) and will NOT go back to PF8 unless and until they fix the myriad issues.

I am trying out ForkLift and it looks very promising.

4. 2 Posted by ryoichi on 15 Nov, 2018 09:10 PM

Why do I use it? Because it works. I had nothing but problems with PF7. But PF8 has been working great in Mojave.

5. 3 Posted by dtoub on 15 Nov, 2018 11:17 PM

I was a PF8 beta tester and a long-time user. I finally just gave up two months ago and have not found a need for PF at all anymore. The one feature I really missed was DropStack (which isn't performing the way it had in PF7 and earlier) so I replaced that with Yoink and it's been quite fine. I don't have to worry about RAM creep or CPU creep and my computer seems more stable overall. Sad but true. I don't need PF at this point.

6. 4 Posted by tigerman3000 on 16 Nov, 2018 08:04 AM

I am using both PF and Forklift. PF is still version 8.2.3, since everybody here has huge problems with 8.3.x.

The people from Forklift fixed the problem with FXP Copy. Now FL is - at least regarding this feature - ahead of PF. The people at FL listen to your requests and even fix them for you.

In the long run I will be only using FL.

There has not been a decent notice about new features or bug fixes on the PF website, so why should I bother to download new versions?

To keep an updated and publicly open version history is just the normal thing to do for every software developer.

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Nov, 2018 10:32 AM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 16 Nov, 2018 10:32 AM

9. 5 Posted by monkeygrip on 02 Dec, 2018 05:17 AM

me, the only reason i use pathfinder is to have two different finder views with two separate tree views, the only draw back to Forklift is that I can't have a sidebar for both split panes. If forklift had that ability i would gladly jump ship immediately and never look back. pf is so damn buggy after all these years of development you would think they would have the stuff locked down.

to many bugs have existed since I started using pathfinder that makes me sick. It's as if we got a community manager placating us with fixes that the devs never even touch, This is my second upgrade and not a damn thing has changed for the positive.

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Dec, 2018 03:55 PM.

11. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Dec, 2018 03:56 PM

12. 6 Posted by J8ck on 03 Dec, 2018 03:19 PM

tigerman3000 - "There has not been a decent notice about new features or bug fixes on the PF website, so why should I bother to download new versions?

To keep an updated and publicly open version history is just the normal thing to do for every software developer."

same.... I have also installed FL I just wish they would add full color labels. Even a simple thing like adding SSL to make this forum more secure seems to be a challenge here, or adding a changelog for the updates. My patience just ran out. I still wish them well and hope they fix PF. But I won't jump back in until Cocoatech (or the users) says it's all fixed, I simply don't have the time.

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Dec, 2018 12:42 PM.

14. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Dec, 2018 12:42 PM

15. 7 Posted by rcprador on 12 Dec, 2018 10:26 PM

Hi,
    I had tried PF before and did not liked it [too much visual information @ v6 and v7] But I found version 8 to be great and well balanced allowing perfect customization; visually speaking].
    Functional features that I am using a lot now is Cover Flow view (now missing/removed from Mojave by apple, [big mistake!]), the ability to create disk images, built in hex editor, dual pane feature and the wonderful custom right click menu that helps me a lot.

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Dec, 2018 12:48 PM.

17. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Dec, 2018 12:48 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac