in icon view, previews aren't being generated for new files

rsl

16 Mar, 2013 06:01 PM

With a browser open in icon view, files added to (created in) the folder by another app don't get preview icons. they are stuck with the generic document icon until I manually move the file, change the window's icon size.

In my case, I'm looking at the folder my scanner dumps PDF files into as I scan. Old ones have previews, new ones don't. I imagine that the content of the PDF isn't available when PathFinder attempts to generate an icon. But this works in the Finder.

1. 1 Posted by Tom on 22 Mar, 2013 08:13 PM

Hi,

The first option might be to try refreshing the browser. The easiest way to do this is to first right/control click on the toolbar, select Customize Toolbar, and then click and drag the Reload button onto the toolbar. Once you have new files in a browser window, try clicking the reload button and see if this generates preview icons.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Dragan on 27 Mar, 2013 03:19 PM

rsl, what software/scanner do you use to create new PDFs when you experience this behaviour?

3. 3 Posted by rsl on 28 Mar, 2013 02:38 AM

Dragan, I'm using the ScanSnap software with the OCR option.

actually you can reproduce the problem this way:

in icon view, open a terminal to the folder you see. Let's say you have a file a.jpg. In the terminal, if you type: touch b.jpg, you create an empty file named b.jpg. Since there is no content, there is no way to create a preview, so Path Finder will show you the default icon. If you then type cp a.jpg b.jpg, you'll now have content in b.jpg, but still Path Finder will not generate a preview icon for it. You'll see a.jpg with its icon, but b.jpg will keep the default icon. You can see a preview with quick look it, and the various panes and inspectors, but the icon will not be created unless you refresh the window, or change the icon size with the slider. Path Finder isn't watching for content changes, apparently. But this works properly in the Finder - content changes always cause a regeneration of the preview icon, right away (or fast enough).

I think this is what is happening with my scanner software. It creates the empty file first, then adds content to it as it is scanned, but Path Finder is not watching for content changes.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Dragan on 14 Apr, 2013 11:24 PM

Hi rsl,

Thanks for your detailed explanation, it helped me to reproduce the issue. I'll create a ticket for this bug and let you know of the progress.

There are some other issues with updating file info when they change. We're already working on them and this one is perhaps related.

5. Tom closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2013 06:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac