Find window odd and unreliable search results

brsnyder117

09 Mar, 2013 09:42 PM

I am using the Find window to look for some files. I know that some of them start with BFC914, and if I search for a partial match on BFC914 I find them. But if I search for partial match for BFC, or even Starts With BFC, I don't find them. I know there are a bunch of other files on this drive that start with BFC - why can't I find them? This is on an external drive that is mounted in PF.

P.S. I'm a longtime Pathfinder user and have used it to find stuff successfully for years.

1. 1 Posted by dunsmuirwill on 11 Mar, 2013 12:46 AM

I'm having similar trouble with the Find option as well. Often it does not find a file or content I know are there. I am looking at alternative applications, but I'd rather use PathFinder since it has worked so well in the past.

2. 2 Posted by brsnyder117 on 16 Mar, 2013 09:02 PM

It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I just used it to find some files, and then when I ran the Find command again, those same files were no longer being found! Can anyone shed any light?

3. 3 Posted by raf guedens on 17 Mar, 2013 12:19 PM

One of the latest updates mentioned it had "improved the Find window". It seems this update has done the exact opposite. At some random moment, the "find by content" option disappeared. Please fix the Find window, Pathfinder. Given the name of the program, efficiently finding files should be a feature that works well!

4. 4 Posted by Tom on 22 Mar, 2013 08:51 PM

Hi Guys,

I've passed this discussion on to our dev team. Unfortunately, I am not able to replicate any issues with the Find window, but regardless, we are working on improving the Find window and or dev will reply here with more information when ready. Thank you for your patience!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dragan on 25 Mar, 2013 06:07 PM

Most of the "improvements of the Find window" were related to the Spotlight search. As I can see in your examples, you guys use the old-style file system search. That code hasn't been changed in years. It uses POSIX level searchfs() API if supported by the volume on which the search action is performed, or if it's not supported we use File Manager FSCatalogSearch API. The results we get are completely dependent on those APIs. So if you experience it behaves differently than before, it means that probably Apple changed something, as we haven't changed that code in a long time.

I'll still look a bit further to see if I can improve the behaviour of the old-style search.

Do you get better results if you use Spotlight search?

6. 6 Posted by brsnyder117 on 26 Mar, 2013 02:34 AM

Yes, it looks like it. It still won't search an entire external drive. If I tell it to search Data (name of volume), neither search gives results. If I give it the name of a subfolder, Spotlight search does work. I have to choose Servers to search an entire external drive.

7. 7 Posted by raf guedens on 27 Mar, 2013 07:52 PM

Hello Dragan, thanks for getting back to us.

I would like to use the functions of Pathfinder's find window, as explained in the youtube clip "File Find in Pathfinder 6", posted by Cocoatech 11 months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WulusTC2cHQ

However, there are several issues:

First, a little while after upgrading to version 6, the search criteria stopped being editable the way they are in the youtube clip. They are now fixed, see screenshot. After uninstalling and reinstalling Path finder, initially the search criteria were editable again. But after a while they reverted once again to fixed criteria. At the moment there is no option to search by content or tag. The spotlight panel has no option to search by tag either, so my tags are not of much use.

Second, the "Saved Searches" button is not working at all, see screenshot.

Third, I don't see an option to view the results of a compound search in a single tab of Pathfinder, which would be useful.

Can you help?

Regards,
    Raf

On 25 Mar 2013, at 18:07, "Dragan" <[email blocked]> wrote:

> From: Dragan (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Find window odd and unreliable search results
    >
    > Most of the "improvements of the Find window" were related to the Spotlight search. As I can see in your examples, you guys use the old-style file system search. That code hasn't been changed in years. It uses POSIX level **searchfs()** API if supported by the volume on which the search action is performed, or if it's not supported we use File Manager **FSCatalogSearch** API. The results we get are completely dependent on those APIs. So if you experience it behaves differently than before, it means that probably Apple changed something, as we haven't changed that code in a long time.
    >
    > I'll still look a bit further to see if I can improve the behaviour of the old-style search.
    >
    > Do you get better results if you use Spotlight search?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/11905-find-window-odd-and-unreliable-search-results
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >
    >

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Dragan on 12 Apr, 2013 12:55 PM

Raf, there are two types of searches in Path Finder: Spotlight search (see attached image spotlight.png) and so-called Old type search (see attached image old_style,png). All the things about search criteria being editable shown in the YouTube video is related to the Spotlight search, not the old style search, which you use. The same applies to the saved searches button: it works with Spotlight searches only.

Spotlight search can search for both content and tags, see attached image tag_content.png.

You're right about the third one, the Find window works on its own. At the moment there is no option to see search results in another tab of the main browser window.

9. Dragan closed this discussion on 12 Apr, 2013 12:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac