Dark Mode makes app illegible & Module Window

Tom

17 Oct, 2018 06:11 PM

Folks I see that this mode is under development which is good as it shouldn't be released in its current state since you cannot read the various parts of PF in its window. Since the app is illegible in dark mode how can I turn PF back to light mode WITHOUT changing the entire Macs theme just to use PF.

Also this new modules window... I don't know what the icons in there mean, where is the key to tell you what they are? Also how do you remove a module?

1. 1 Posted by fryarludwig on 17 Oct, 2018 06:22 PM

Hi Tom,

I'm not official support, but I have your same issue. By updating the color schemes in Path Finder > Preferences > Appearance you can update the backgrounds to work well with the dark theme. If you use preview panes, you'll find little settings buttons on those and through those you can update the preview pane to match your darker colors. Granted, a few things will still remain in the light theme, but this step takes just a couple minutes and makes PF entirely acceptable while we wait for the dark theme update to come out.

2. 2 Posted by Andy on 18 Oct, 2018 02:04 PM

I, too, have the same problem. the dark color scheme within PF is fine, it's the top menus that's the problem. I've looked under Preferences and the View option, neither offer a fix for the double light menu/text background. I hope CocoaTech comes out with a fix for this problem in Mojave.

3. 3 Posted by Tom on 18 Oct, 2018 05:42 PM

Folks there was another poster in these forums that shared this command:

defaults write com.cocoatech.PathFinder NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool yes

you type that in terminal then start PF, worked great for me and fixes the faux pa that PF did with dark mode.

4. 4 Posted by fryarludwig on 18 Oct, 2018 05:48 PM

Just ran the command - it's much better than what I could get with all my custom coloring. I still had to adjust my custom color scheme once more to match the theme, but I'm much happier with the results. Thanks for that tip, Tom!

5. 5 Posted by Ollie on 18 Oct, 2018 07:19 PM

Thanks, Tom, for the "defaults write..." posting. It makes PF8 usable after the dark mode mess CocoaTech gave us where half the screen was unreadable.

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Oct, 2018 08:18 AM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 19 Oct, 2018 08:18 AM

8. 6 Posted by tim.jones.001 on 24 Oct, 2018 03:07 PM

Thanks again Tom for sharing this workaround

I had previously found it impossible to rename files as it seemed the text was black on a black background and tweaking the appearance options did not help

Come on cocoatech - how can you release something as broken as this?

9. 7 Posted by Incanto on 24 Oct, 2018 03:52 PM

Adding on to Dark Mode issues: The latest update (8.3.1 (1904)) has fixed a black-on-black preview pane; the background is now light(ish) gray and the thing is readable. But, for those of us who would still like to monkey with the colors (Show View Options-->Set Colors), or in settings for the sidebar, it no longer works. The bar to choose the option is grayed out and does not respond to a mouse click. If that function has had to be sacrificed in order to display PF properly in Dark Mode, then I wonder if it will come back? I'd like it to.

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2018 07:41 PM.

11. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2018 07:41 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac