Can't drop items on toolbar in Mojave

bob.deskin

29 Sep, 2018 12:48 PM

After upgrading to Mojave, I can no longer drag and drop items onto the toolbar. I've tried with applications, folders, shortcuts, and text files.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2019 10:22 PM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2019 10:23 PM

3. Support Staff 31 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 May, 2019 10:23 PM

Hi All,

A quick update on this issue:

As far as we can tell since macOS Mojave Apple changed the behavior of the standard macOS UI component (NSToolbar) we use for toolbar in Path Finder. 
    There were no changes in Path Finder 7 or 8 regarding the toolbar behavior, but following this change in standard macOS components, "Accept dropped items" in Path Finder 7 and Path Finder 8 no longer works on macOS Mojave.
    Note that macOS High Sierra and earlier versions are not affected.

Our developers are looking on a workaround that will bring back this functionality.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2019 10:23 PM.

5. David Teplow re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2019 10:25 PM

6. 32 Posted by David Teplow on 24 May, 2019 10:25 PM

Hi Jordan:

Thanks so much for the good news. Please, please, please see if the developers can prioritize this fix.

Regards,

Dave 

-----------------------------------------------
    David Teplow
    10701 Wilshire Blvd (Apt 1606)
    Los Angeles, CA 90024-4441

Reply: [email blocked] <[email blocked]>
    Date: May 24, 2019 at 3:23:13 PM
    To: [email blocked] <[email blocked]>
    Subject:  Cocoatech Support

Subject: Can't drop items on toolbar in Mojave

Hi All,

A quick update on this issue:

As far as we can tell since macOS Mojave Apple changed the behavior of the standard macOS UI component (NSToolbar) we use for toolbar in Path Finder. 
    There were no changes in Path Finder 7 or 8 regarding the toolbar behavior, but following this change "Accept dropped items" in Path Finder 7 and Path Finder 8 no longer works on macOS Mojave. Note that macOS High Sierra and earlier versions are not affected.

Our developers are looking on a workaround that will bring back this functionality.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/116412-cant-drop-items-on-toolbar-in-mojave

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

7. 33 Posted by bob.deskin on 24 May, 2019 10:32 PM

Take a look at the workaround I used. Post #22. That may give you a hint as to what's happening or at least give you a technique you can use. I mean if you can add the terminal to the toolbar and rename it, you should be able to come up with a method to do that but hide the mechanics. However, I grant that the method is not a drag and drop.

8. 34 Posted by dteplow on 24 May, 2019 10:34 PM

Hi Bob: Yes. I used the technique, and it worked, but it's a bit of a hassle, as you know, but thanks for your help!

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2019 10:51 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2019 10:51 PM

11. 35 Posted by bob.deskin on 24 May, 2019 11:18 PM

Agreed, it is a hassle. I guess it depends how much you want to use version 8 over version 7 or something else. Or Mojave over High Sierra.

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2019 10:37 AM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2019 10:37 AM

14. 36 Posted by loredo on 25 Oct, 2019 07:38 PM

PF Support, any progress on this since May? I see you re-opened the thread in June, but nothing was posted. I just updated to PF 8.6, but the toolbar issue persists.

I had a bit of trouble implementing the workaround in bob.deskin's post #22, and thought I should share my experience in case it might help others.

First, note that there may be multiple "TB Item Identifiers" entries in your preference plist file. As Bob noted, you want to adjust the one under the "NSToolbar Configuration PF6_browserToolbarController" key. That's the one that affects PF 8, even though it has "PF6" in the key name. I also have TB item identifiers under the key "NSToolbar Configuration NTBrowserToolbarController." They appear to be for an old PF version (they don't change when I change the toolbar in PF8). Perhaps they're kept so that users can use multiple versions via the same prefs file.

Second, I found that changes to the entry do not show up in the toolbar on my next launch of PF. I have to launch, quit, and then launch again. This wasn't a one-time quirk for me; I made a few changes, and this behavior was 100% repeatable. Strange.

Finally, what led me to do this is that I had an AppleScript (compiled to an app) in my toolbar that stopped working after upgrading to Mojave, due to lacking permissions. Nothing I tried in the Security->Privacy system prefs pane could get my previous script to work, and re-saving the script also didn't help. What worked was taking the script text and saving it as an entirely new script (as an app). Only after doing that and launching the newly-created script did Mojave provide the dialogs & prompts that would let me grant the script and apps sufficient permission to interact. So much for Apple's "it just works" ethic....

Thanks, Bob Deskin, for the workaround.

15. 37 Posted by bob.deskin on 25 Oct, 2019 08:56 PM

You're welcome, although I wish it wasn't necessary. Seems to me that if there's a workaround, then there should be a fix.

I too have noticed "interesting behavior" with Mojave and security. It seems to get tighter and quirkier each release. I have not moved to Catalina as yet and probably not for a while.

16. 38 Posted by dteplow on 25 Oct, 2019 09:23 PM

Thanks to bob and klentz for their help. Their fix works as advertized (you need to quit and restart PF8.6 twice). To make it easier for newbies and others to know where to put new keys in the Cocoatech pref file, I have copied that section below. You will see two new entries at the bottom of the TB Item Identifiers array. It is cumbersome to have to quit PF, edit its pref file, and then start it twice, but...IT WORKS.

</dict>
    <key>NSToolbar Configuration PF6_browserToolbarController</key>
    <dict>
    <key>TB Default Item Identifiers</key>
    <array>
    <string>Back</string>
    <string>NSToolbarFlexibleSpaceItem</string>
    <string>View</string>
    <string>Views</string>
    <string>Quick Look</string>
    <string>Arrange</string>
    <string>Size Browser</string>
    <string>Show Invisibles</string>
    <string>Search</string>
    <string>Progress</string>
    </array>
    <key>TB Display Mode</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>TB Icon Size Mode</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>TB Is Shown</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>TB Item Identifiers</key>
    <array>
    <string>Finder</string>
    <string>Terminal</string>
    <string>Touch</string>
    <string>View</string>
    <string>Views</string>
    <string>Quick Look</string>
    <string>Applications</string>
    <string>Arrange</string>
    <string>Show Invisibles</string>
    <string>Path</string>
    <string>Size Browser</string>
    <string>Back</string>
    <string>Search</string>
    <string>Progress</string>
    <string>Eject</string>
    <string>Secure Delete…</string>
    <string>/Users/davidteplow/Dropbox/Coffee with Scientists</string>
    <string>/Users/davidteplow/Dropbox/Teaching/FiatLux2019</string>
    </array>
    <key>TB Size Mode</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>

17. 39 Posted by bob.deskin on 01 Nov, 2019 06:34 PM

Well, PF9 is out and we still can't drag and drop items to the toolbar. If you right-click on the toolbar, Accepts Dropped Items is still there, under Customize. I guess I don't know what that means.

That said, luckily I haven't had serious issues with 9 so far except that it lost my toolbar settings. Just that I had hoped the PF8 issues would have been fixed first. I think the original explanation we got for drag and drop was something about macOS security or new restrictions. But if we have what we consider a workaround, certainly Cocoatech could implement that transparently.

18. 40 Posted by dteplow on 01 Nov, 2019 09:47 PM

Just updated to 9.0.1. All of my prior TB Item Identifiers (toolbar folders/files) showed up nicely. My 8.6 prefs also were remembered. FYI.

19. 41 Posted by bob.deskin on 01 Nov, 2019 10:02 PM

Interesting. Now that I know that I can recover my settings by copying from a backup, I may give it a try. Or maybe wait until 9.1.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac