Find's Content Search Still Cannot Be Trusted

Path Finder User

12 Jan, 2013 03:15 AM

Find Content "SK-C-5" (without the quote character delimiters) in directory "XML" (w/o the quotes) that contains 11242 XML files. A handful of these XML files contain strings that begin with "SK-C-5" (w/o the quotes), and one contains that EXACT string (file attached).

That exact string "SK-C-5" (w/o the quotes) is NOT FOUND by Path Finder's Find Content search.

Path Finder's Find's Content Search - whatever its underlying mechanism - cannot be trusted, alas. This is a serious problem, obviously.

1. 1 Posted by write_on on 19 Jan, 2013 01:48 AM

I'm searching for specific text in the content of documents. I use certain extensions to indicate specific type of text files, but they are just plain text. However, PF will locate the contents correctly only if the file extension is txt or PDF. Totally exasperating. What gives?

2. 2 Posted by Damazio on 19 Jan, 2013 03:43 PM

Path Finder relies on Spotlight for content search. There's also a similar report here. Are you using the latest PF version, just in case?

3. 3 Posted by Ellen Williams on 19 Jan, 2013 04:11 PM

Damazio,

Yes, I had already seen the other report when I made my post. And yes, I am using the latest (PF 6.0.6).

The behavior I described is absolutely reproducible.

--Ellen

On 19 Jan 2013, at 10:44 AM, Damazio wrote:

> From: Damazio (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Find's Content Search Still Cannot Be Trusted
    >
    > Path Finder relies on Spotlight for content search. There's also a similar report [here](http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/3300-find-utility). Are you using the latest PF version, just in case?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10774-finds-content-search-still-cannot-be-trusted
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >

4. 4 Posted by Damazio on 19 Jan, 2013 04:48 PM

I notified the dev about this discussion, Ellen.

5. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac