Windows Shares take forever to list

John

05 Jan, 2013 02:47 PM

Why do my windows shares that I connect to seem to take forever to list? Some of these folders contain hundreds of entries, and they return very quickly on windows, but in Path Finder (and just Finder) it takes minutes to list? I had hopped Path Finder would solve this, but it seems to be here too. Any help?

I have attached a Sample from Process Viewer from Path Finder when this is happening in case that might help. I believe it is connecting with SMB... should I be using something different?

1. 1 Posted by John on 07 Jan, 2013 06:40 PM

Can anyone help with this?

2. 2 Posted by Brian on 08 Jan, 2013 04:54 AM

I have a similar problem were Pathfinder does not recognise my NAS drives even though Finer has no problem whatsoever. According to Pathfinder support one should use Finder to recognise the drives then all will be fine with Pathfinder - but not so!!

Having just been recommended to use Pathfinder it gave me hope to drop Finder but it has failed at one important support feature.

3. 3 Posted by John on 08 Jan, 2013 01:15 PM

That's what my thoughts were too Brian. I had was going to recommend Path Finder as a replacement for my company as we have all kinds of issues with FInder, but it appears there is a major issue with this. I wish someone from Cocoatech would weigh in as I am about ready to abandon the product and look for an alternative.

4. 4 Posted by brianh9 on 09 Jan, 2013 08:47 PM

Hi Nelson

Thank you for your note and support. What items i found researching this issue was it appears that Pathfinder guys are expecting Apple to modify some s'ware but what puzzles me is that Finder does a great job at locating shared folders so why is Pathfider unable to do so? I did open up Finder and kit pickes up my shared folders and then i relaunched Pathfinder and the shared folder was then visibile however i havent used my home Mac since to see if it still shows the SF. I would like to adopt Pathfinder.

---- nelsonj6 <[email blocked]> wrote:
    > From: nelsonj6
    Subject: Windows Shares take forever to list

That's what my thoughts were too Brian. I had was going to recommend Path Finder as a replacement for my company as a replacement as we have all kinds of issues with FInder, but it appears there is a major issue with this. I wish someone from Cocoatech would weigh in as I am about ready to abandon the product and look for an alternative.

View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10616-windows-shares-take-forever-to-list
    Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

>

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dragan on 10 Jan, 2013 12:34 PM

John and Brian ,

Are the problems you're describing related to SMB (Windows/Linux) shares? If so, please read this entry from our knowledge base.

I fully understand your dissatisfaction and frustration, but there's really nothing we can do about it. It all used to work nicely until OS X 10.7 came out, when Apple removed all public SMB file sharing tools from the operating system. I can understand they had to do it due to licensing issues, but I think they at least could've kept the old (GPL 2 licensed) tools in the system until their new SMBX is available with public API to be used by 3rd parties. It may also happen Apple never releases SMBX to the public. Perhaps they don't want anyone to include such features in 3rd party applications, including file manager alternatives to Finder.

Like mentioned in that knowledge base entry, we have packaged Snow Leopard's SMB tools with Path Finder, but there are compatibility issues. For some people it works (to different degrees), for some don't.

Once again, we're sorry, but nothing to do about it at the moment :-(

6. Dragan closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2013 12:34 PM.

7. Brian re-opened this discussion on 10 Jan, 2013 08:11 PM

8. 6 Posted by Brian on 10 Jan, 2013 08:11 PM

Yes I have already found n read this notice. Whilst I appreciate the detail why is it that Finder has no problem? Brian

Sent from my iPhone

On 10/01/2013, at 11:34 PM, "Dragan" <[email blocked]> wrote:

> From: Dragan (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Windows Shares take forever to list
    >
    > **John** and **Brian **,
    >
    > Are the problems you're describing related to SMB (Windows/Linux) shares? If so, please read [this entry](http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-compatibility-and-performance/why-cant-i-connect-to-windows-smb-shares) from our knowledge base.
    >
    > I fully understand your dissatisfaction and frustration, but there's really nothing we can do about it. It all used to work nicely until OS X 10.7 came out, when Apple removed all public SMB file sharing tools from the operating system. I can understand they had to do it due to licensing issues, but I think they at least could've kept the old (GPL 2 licensed) tools in the system until their new SMBX is available with public API to be used by 3rd parties. It may also happen Apple never releases SMBX to the public. Perhaps they don't want anyone to include such features in 3rd party applications, including file manager alternatives to Finder.
    >
    > Like mentioned in that knowledge base entry, we have packaged Snow Leopard's SMB tools with Path Finder, but there are compatibility issues. For some people it works (to different degrees), for some don't.
    >
    > Once again, we're sorry, but nothing to do about it at the moment :-(
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10616-windows-shares-take-forever-to-list
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >
    >

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Dragan on 11 Jan, 2013 01:17 AM

Because Finder in OS X 10.7 and 10.8 already uses all that Apple's new SMBX, but it's not available publicly, there is no API or anything like that (command line tools, frameworks,...) available to 3rd party developers.

10. Dragan closed this discussion on 11 Jan, 2013 01:17 AM.

11. Brianh9 re-opened this discussion on 11 Jan, 2013 03:12 AM

12. 8 Posted by Brianh9 on 11 Jan, 2013 03:12 AM

Support

Guess I expected this would be the response but having to pay for
    Pathfinder which does offer benefits but isn't really meeting my needs is
    a bit pointless. I will give it further use to see how it manages the
    shared folders inter alia Finder and base my go/no go decision on the
    results.

Do you have any idea when Apple will mke the required update to SMBX?

Thank you for your support.

Brian

On 11/01/13 12:18 PM, "Dragan"
    <[email blocked]> wrote:

>From: Dragan (Cocoatech Support)
    >Subject: Windows Shares take forever to list
    >
    >Because Finder in 10.7 and 10.8 already uses all that Apple's new SMBX,
    >but it's not available publicly, there is no API or anything like that
    >(command line tools, frameworks,...) available to 3rd party developers.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >View this discussion at our support site online:
    >http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10616-windows-shares-tak
    >e-forever-to-list
    >Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >
    >

13. Support Staff 9 Posted by Dragan on 11 Jan, 2013 11:49 AM

Unfortunately, no. I couldn't find any info regarding the public release of SMBX.

14. Dragan closed this discussion on 11 Jan, 2013 11:49 AM.

15. John re-opened this discussion on 11 Jan, 2013 01:18 PM

16. 10 Posted by John on 11 Jan, 2013 01:18 PM

So why is it SO SLOW even with SMB if it never was an issue in the past prior to Mountain Lion? I'm glad I was only using the trial version as this is a deal killer. Even in the native Finder it is extremely slow and was recommend that I try Path Finer to see if it could resolve it with the old SMB API.

17. Support Staff 11 Posted by Dragan on 11 Jan, 2013 01:38 PM

1) Why is it slow in native Finder? We don't know. How could we? Apple started writing their SMBX from the ground up and it may be it's still not completely done and fit.

2) Why is it slow or not working in Path Finder? Prior OS X Lion, Path Finder used SMB tools that were built into the system and shipped with it. They worked perfectly with respective versions of the OS (Leopard, Snow Leopard), which was understandable, since the tools were parts of the system.

In OS X Lion (and beyond), those tools are not there anymore! So, we took old versions (found in Snow Leopard) and bundled them into the Path Finder application package. If Path Finder is running on Snow Leopard (and earlier), it uses system built-in tools. If it runs in Lion (and newer), it uses OLD Snow Leopard tools that we bundled ourselves. Apparently those tools were made for earlier version of the OS, Apple could have change many things in the meanwhile, which could (and do) introduce different issues when those old tolls run on the new system.

An that's exactly what happens. For some people it works, for some it works with problems, for some it doesn't work at all.

Like I've said, and I'll repeat, we fully understand your dissatisfaction and frustration, but there's really nothing we can do about it. We'll certainly do something about this as soon as we can. We'll be the first to jump on that new API (if it appears at all) and avoid spending our time having this kind of discussions and explaining things to people.

I'm sorry about it being a deal killer, but that's exactly what the trial version is for; try and if it doesn't work for you, don't buy it.

18. 12 Posted by John on 11 Jan, 2013 02:31 PM

Thanks Dragen. Don't get me wrong, I really like Path Finder, and I can get it to connect, but the speed is dreadful. With that said though, is there a different protocol other than SMB that I can use to connect to Windows shares? In Finder I prefix with SMB, and in Path Finder I don't frefix with anything (shoudl I be?), so is there a different prefix that may work better?

19. 13 Posted by Damazio on 11 Jan, 2013 03:12 PM

John, the protocol depends on the remote machine which is being shared. For example, my brother is on Windows and he can share is machine via SMB, FTP, WebDAV, etc., whether he's using the default system tools or a third party app to make a share.

20. Damazio closed this discussion on 11 Jan, 2013 03:12 PM.

21. John re-opened this discussion on 11 Jan, 2013 04:12 PM

22. 14 Posted by John on 11 Jan, 2013 04:12 PM

Okay, so is there a way to specify that in Path Finder? I connect to a Sharepoint server (I haven't tried it with Path Finder yet) but specify http: as the prefix in FInder... how do you do that with PF as it seems to strip those out I thought.

23. 15 Posted by Damazio on 11 Jan, 2013 04:20 PM

There's already an open ticket to handle http:// in the Connect window (it has been reported that the address opens in the browser). As for Sharepoint, I already replied here about the poor support in OS X.

24. 16 Posted by John on 11 Jan, 2013 06:17 PM

So, in other words, there is no way to handle the protocol for the connection? I know in some others we are looking at you have to choose the protocol. There is no way to do that or specify that in PF?

25. 17 Posted by Damazio on 11 Jan, 2013 07:28 PM

You can specify http:// (WebDAV which Sharepoint uses) in Go > Connect but as said above, it has been reported to open it as a web address in your browser. Other than that, Path Finder can handle smb://, ftp:// (and its secure variants) and afp://.

26. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac