Path Finder Preference -> Set as the default file browser...

mike.erickson

04 Jan, 2013 02:22 AM

The preference setting "Set as default file browser..." while work, is not being set when revisiting Preference dialog after it is set, leading one to believe it is turned "off" when indeed it is on. I was trying to disable this setting and it was confusing me as it stated it was off, yet the action was still occurring.

After I toggled the setting to make sure it was OFF and then saving, only at that time did it actually set to off.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 04 Jan, 2013 11:06 AM

That setting writes a NSFileViewer entry for Path Finder in all plistfiles in the Preferences folder (when you enable it, you can hear your hard disk start working).

Despite writing 2 lines to text files in a batch should be quick, I can think of a scenario where you quit Path Finder before the operation is finished (the same may apply if quitting Path Finder right after setting the Hide extensionbit for thousands of files, for example) which might leave unfinished entries.

Also, whenever you install new apps, you need to disable and re-enable the Set as default option to cover them as well or else the NSFileViewerentry won't be present in their plist files. While this may seem a bit clunky, it's actually the way Apple recommends, according to the devs,

On another hand, there have been reports about Path Finder being stuck as the default file browser even with that option disabled, in Mountain Lion, but I think that's a different issue since the users who reported it tried to disable and re-enable that option without success.

2. 2 Posted by mike.erickson on 04 Jan, 2013 10:00 PM

Well, all is working as I want it now so i will leave it alone for time being. May try again another time.

Mike Erickson
    Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2013, at 3:06 AM, Damazio <[email blocked]> wrote:

> From: Damazio (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Path Finder Preference -> Set as the default file browser...
    >
    > That setting writes a `NSFileViewer` entry for Path Finder in all `plist`files in the `Preferences` folder (when you enable it, you can hear your hard disk start working).
    >
    > Despite writing 2 lines to text files in a batch should be quick, I can think of a scenario where you quit Path Finder before the operation is finished (the same may apply if quitting Path Finder right after setting the `Hide extension`bit for thousands of files, for example) which might leave unfinished entries.
    >
    > Also, whenever you install new apps, you need to disable and re-enable the **Set as default** option to cover them as well or else the `NSFileViewer`entry won't be present in their `plist` files. While this may seem a bit clunky, it's actually the way Apple recommends, according to the devs,
    >
    > On another hand, there have been reports about Path Finder being stuck as the default file browser even with that option disabled, in Mountain Lion, but I think that's a different issue since the users who reported it tried to disable and re-enable that option without success.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10565-path-finder-preference-set-as-the-default-file-browser
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >
    >

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 04 Jan, 2013 10:39 PM

OK, just reply back to automatically re-open this discussion if you find anything relevant.

4. Damazio closed this discussion on 04 Jan, 2013 10:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac