Unknown computer showing up in "shared" on sidebar

blballen

04 Jan, 2013 01:08 AM

I am getting a consistent machine showing up on my "shared" sidebar, but only in Path Finder, it does NOT show up in Finder's 'Shared' sidebar. This computer is NOT part of my home network of machines, and it shows up on all my machines that are running path finder.
NOTES:
- running path finder 6.1.2 (1513)
- running mac os x 10.7.5
- my network is NOT open, using WPA2 and recently changed to specifically allow ONLY the mac addresses of my known machines to attach to the network router
- if I click on the unknown computer, I get: "there was a problem connecting to the server "macbookpro-d923"."

macbookpro-d923 is always the name of the unknown computer that shows up

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 04 Jan, 2013 11:48 AM

OS X can leave phantom servers on the Sidebar.

First, you can try to trash /Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist (you'll have to set your Sidebar from scratch) and reboot if necessary.

You can read about some other possible solutions here, here, here and here.

2. 2 Posted by blballen on 04 Jan, 2013 01:57 PM

Damazio, thanks for the reply. What you are suggesting (deleting the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist) would only affect the built-in Finder, would it not? I do not have the problem with the machine showing up in the shared section on Finder, it is ONLY on Path Finder that this machine shows up.

Any other thoughts?

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 04 Jan, 2013 03:36 PM

Path Finder allows you to create new Sidebars by clicking on the gear button at the bottom but the standard one is shared with Finder (same items, gray icons). Also, it has been reported by other users that trashing that file fixed a number of other issues with the Sidebar including phantom items on other sections or the inability to drag and drop items.

Despite it only shows in Path Finder, in your case, the links I provided show a number of scenarios where it happened in Finder, so there is no clear pattern for this.

When a solution is about trashing a file, usually the goal is to reset something to default so, you don't even have to trash it. Just move it out of the parent folder or easier, rename it to /Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist.bak and logout so a new plist entry is created. If nothing happens just trash the newly created file and rename the old one back. Nothing is lost unless you trash something and empty the trash.

4. 4 Posted by blballen on 04 Jan, 2013 04:29 PM

OK, I deleted the file and restarted the machine. The file was indeed created again, but the machine still shows up on the shared list. And again, it is ONLY in path finder, not in the built-in Finder.

I research the other links you provided.

Thanks

5. 5 Posted by Damazio on 04 Jan, 2013 04:56 PM

OK, we excluded that one. While you read the other possible solutions from the links here are a couple more you can try:

• Click on the gear button at the bottom of the Sidebar to create a new one, in case you're using the default (gray icons).
    • Rename Path Finder's own /Home/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.pathfinder.plist file and relaunch it.
    • Go to System Preferences > Sharing, disable sharing, logout and re-enable it.
  6. Damazio closed this discussion on 09 Jan, 2013 10:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac