Feature Request: Search in current directory

Jeff Felchner

01 Jan, 2013 09:55 PM

I was looking for the old feature request forums and couldn't find it.

I'd like a search option added that searches within the current pane's directory. The "Selection" option almost covers it but requires some convoluted clicking in most cases.

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Jeff Felchner on 01 Jan, 2013 10:01 PM

Just found the feedback site.

Evidently this is already done? http://feedback.cocoatech.com/forums/275-path-finder-ideas/suggesti...

I still can't get it to work and included a comment on that page.

2. 2 Posted by Damazio on 02 Jan, 2013 11:30 AM

Jeff, when you open the Find window, what's the first location on the location bar? It should be the focused folder on the file browser. Please post a screenshot in case of doubt.

3. 3 Posted by Jeff Felchner on 02 Jan, 2013 07:50 PM

Yeah, you're right, it is, but that's not how I typically find things. I usually just use the search in the toolbar and there's no option for "Current Folder" there.

It seems like there's an attempt to have parity between the two except for this.

4. 4 Posted by Damazio on 02 Jan, 2013 10:47 PM

Ok, I see what you mean after reading your post again, but the search bar on the main browser window already searches the directory you're in if you use Search > Selection as you point out. Now the trick is, if you have a folder selected, it will search inside that folder (and subfolders) so, to search in the directory you're actually in, you need to clear the selection first by pressing the ESC key.

If you want to bypass clicking you can also press Shift + Command + F to focus the search bar and TAB to move the focus back to the file browser (but the TAB key will toggle the focused pane on dual pane). A better option is to install the Search Field Menu plugin and assign a single hotkey to it, to switch to and from the search bar.

When the search bar is focused, you can just press Command + Down Arrow to access its drop down menu and change your search options.

Please let us know if you need more help with that.

5. Damazio closed this discussion on 05 Jan, 2013 03:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac