select multiple items using search criteria

Steve Davies

29 Dec, 2012 04:05 PM

I'm trying to select a number of files/folders using either Edit/Select... or Edit/Find/Find... My directory has approx. 20,000 files and folders in and I want to select everything in the current directory that has a comma in the title and move it to another location. I don't want to select anything in a subdirectory because otherwise I'll end up duplicating sub-folders..

How do I do this using PathFinder? I can't get Select... to do anything useful at all. No matter what criteria I put in, it just closes without selecting anything. Using Find, I can't seem to restrict the find to the current directory.

Incidentally, do you have any kind of help file that actually provides help? I don't have any trouble finding which menu "Find" is on, especially once I've found it for the first time, but some information on what does what and how it does it would be appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by Steve Davies on 30 Dec, 2012 10:26 AM

And before you suggest it, I tried using the filter. What happens is that I then select items in the source folder and copy them to the destination folder. But only about half of them are removed from the source folder. If you try and delete them from the source folder they are instead deleted from the destination folder. Any sub-folders in the source remain but the contents are gone.

2. 2 Posted by Damazio on 09 Jan, 2013 11:33 PM

Steve, I succeeded using the Select tool, the Find window and Filter and Search > Selection from the search bar (screencaps attached).

What happens is that I then select items in the source folder and copy them to the destination folder. But only about half of them are removed from the source folder.

If you copy them, none of the should be removed from the source folder, only if you move them.

If you try and delete them from the source folder they are instead deleted from the destination folder.

Using dual pane and having eyes on both source and target folders, how can that happen?

3. 3 Posted by Steve Davies on 10 Jan, 2013 09:18 AM

That's really what I was hoping you could tell me, it wasn't the
    behaviour I was expecting. My conclusion, after trying with a couple
    of different applications, was that there were so many files/folders
    in the source pane that it was taking 30 seconds or more to update the
    changes but without indicating that the operation was still in
    progress. So when I did my delete on pane 1, the file was deleted in
    pane 2 because the view controller hadn't caught up with the changes
    in the underlying data structure. If I sat and waited for a minute or
    so, pane 1 eventually caught up with the current location of the
    files.

However, I'm now using Forklift because it gives me a regex search
    that reduces the files in a pane down to manageable number. Sorry.

Steve Davies

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Damazio
    <[email blocked]>
    wrote:
    > From: Damazio (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: select multiple items using search criteria
    >
    > Steve, I succeeded using the **Select** tool, the **Find** window and **Filter** and **Search > Selection** from the search bar (screencaps attached).
    >
    >> What happens is that I then select items in the source folder and copy them to the destination folder. But only about half of them are removed from the source folder.
    >
    > If you copy them, none of the should be removed from the source folder, only if you move them.
    >
    >> If you try and delete them from the source folder they are instead deleted from the destination folder.
    >
    > Using dual pane and having eyes on both source and target folders, how can that happen?
    >
    >
    >
    > Attachments for this comment:
    > - find.png http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10427/assets/10bfdfd8b4c88208e621bffa958be82614e76178/find.png
    >
    > - searchselection_filter.png http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10427/assets/7a920cca3a1048bfe911687e77786c6dddcf3596/searchselection_filter.png
    >
    > - select.png http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10427/assets/721dc9235fed1ca7241a9a3a30dfeb44c7534a17/select.png
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/10427-select-multiple-items-using-search-criteria
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >

4. 4 Posted by Damazio on 10 Jan, 2013 01:44 PM

Sure, no problem. Cheers.

5. Damazio closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2013 01:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac