File / New Browser / Save Browser - not saving locations of folders/modules

Stever Robbins

07 Jun, 2018 02:27 AM

I customized my browser by locking modules into my sidebar, etc. Then I saved the customized version as a new browser. With the customized version displaying, I chose File > New Browser > [custom name] . The window opened and the sidebar had lost my lock status on the modules, the Favorites had reset to the system favorites, the visible drives had reset, etc. In the original window, however, which was still open. all the customizations held. I don't know if it makes a difference, but i used command-N to create new browser windows after selecting the custom browser.

1. 1 Posted by michael on 07 Jun, 2018 02:14 PM

Same problem here. I have carefully customized the sidebar with favorites etc and saved the browser. Pathfinder throws it all out and goes back to defaults every time. Never had this problem in previous pathfinder versions. After the 4 th attempt I gave up.

Michael

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Jun, 2018 05:53 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 07 Jun, 2018 05:54 PM

4. 2 Posted by Loren on 29 Jun, 2018 02:48 PM

Did this problem ever get remedied? I'm having the same issue, which gets very frustrating after setting up many times my sidebar Favorites. I'm on Version 8.0.3 1873.

5. 3 Posted by michael on 29 Jun, 2018 05:23 PM

No. Sidebar constantly reverts to default. Suggest skipping upgrade until fixed. Kludgy workaround is listed down in this post though you'll constantly have to restore to your saved sidebar.... http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/105181-sidebar-ch...

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2018 01:54 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 30 Jun, 2018 01:54 PM

8. 4 Posted by peter on 02 Aug, 2018 09:09 PM

[PF 8.0.4] Glad (?) to hear I'm not the only one noticing this behavior (not saving a module). However, now, upon closing/opening both saved and several default browsers, the module (actually two, Preview and Info, which I placed as a third column) IS showing up. In every browser, saved and default. Maybe I had to "wait a while" for the new arrangement to "take"?

9. 5 Posted by peter on 03 Aug, 2018 01:53 PM

Sigh, this IS a problem. This morning I restarted PF8 and the modules I had added to two named browsers were gone again.

10. 6 Posted by Loren Salas on 03 Aug, 2018 02:04 PM

Hi,

My sidebar functionality has been working for a few weeks now. The only step that I can think of is that I checked "Locked" in the settings for that sidebar (the gear icon). Whether a coincidence or not, that's when my sidebar remained permanent. My Sidebar has Device and Favorites, and it remains after reboots etc. See if that works for you.

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 05:45 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 05:45 PM

13. 7 Posted by Matthias on 13 Apr, 2019 06:05 PM

Was there never a resolution to this issue? Clearly the support staff has seen this is an issue for everyone. Being able to save the browser layouts is a big part of what makes Path Finder a better alternative!

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Apr, 2019 07:18 AM.

15. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Apr, 2019 07:18 AM

16. 8 Posted by Loren on 14 Apr, 2019 02:21 PM

I'm unsure if a solution has been introduced as of 4/2019. A few months ago I made my Windows machine my primary computer and my Mac machine my secondary. Working with Pathfinder became too frustrating - even though it's an amazing program, it slowed down my productivity. Another issue was indexing files - many time Pathfinder would NOT update my "current view" to show moved or copied files from one location to another. It's as if a ghost file was on display in a location where it really wasn't. So using it to copy/move around files became unreliable. The best feature is the Batch Renaming, which Windows 3rd party file managers can't even come close to, so I'm out of luck in that area.

17. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 Apr, 2019 12:33 PM

Hi Loren, 

Would you mind sharing more details on the file indexing issue, preferably in a separate topic? I'd love to investigate it.

As for saving browsers, it's a known issue and we are investigating it. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Apr, 2019 12:33 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac