More keyboard shortcuts please

sebastien.barre

28 Dec, 2012 01:25 AM

Hi.
I've been using a Mac for about 6 months, and one of my first goal when I started was to find a file manager that could be as close to Total Commander on Windows. I've probably 15+ years of muscle memory invested in Total Commander, and it has saved me a tremendous amount of time, I could go on for hours without using a mouse pretty much. I'm using both PC and Mac and I'd love to use the same shortcuts on either OS. So, with that being said I was using a competitor, Forklift 2, for the past 6 months, which provides great keyboard customization. Alas, it has only been updated once in the past 6 months, and barely any features were added. I rely heavily on "Find in Files..." and there is just no way to find a file by searching for a string in its contents in Forkflift.

Which brings me to Path Finder, which has a great "Find..." command, but I'd really love to have more shortcuts so that I don't have to use my mouse or trackpad. More specifically, I was wondering if you could consider this one day:

• be able to toggle the selection using a shortcut, selecting/deselecting one file, then another not necessarily contiguous, from the keyboard (ideally the Space key). This one would be really great to build a selection without having to use the mouse (i.e. without Shift or Command + click), though I admit this would require changing the selection model, because you can't move the cursor to a different file when there is a selection right now (other file managers display the selected files in red text for example).

• be able to assign a different shortcut to "Quick Look" (F3 for example)

• be able to use the Delete key as a shortcut (used to go to the Enclosing Folder in Total Commander). Right now it is used to remove/blank a shortcut.

• be able to assign a shortcut to a favorite directory or at least to the Favorites parent directory, for really quick access to directories without using the mouse (a great time saver in Total Commander),

• be able to use the Control key in shortcuts (not sure why it's not possible actually),

• be able to specify that "New Tab" should start from the same directory as the tab it was created from,

• have an "Edit" menu entry somewhere to edit files. Maybe I missed it somewhere but how do you launch the default editor. Say, my .html files are by default associated to Safari to view them, but I'd like to be able to launch a different application to edit them.

Other than that, a great product indeed.

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 29 Dec, 2012 01:20 AM

Hi Sebastien.

1. I always liked this option in other file managers as well. A mouse selection on a large number of items can be easily lost by clicking on the wrong spot. This Mark option is different from an actual selection (as you mention it just highlights the filename in a different color) so it should be complemented with other options such as Select Marked and Invert Selection (along with Edit > Select All - Select None is already possible just by pressing the ESC key). I'll submit a suggestion ticket to be reviewed.

2. Quick Look has a default fixed key (Space) and often a secondary key (Command + Y - check the File menu). Unfortunately, in Path Finder's hotkey editor, some keys can't be edited, like Quick Look or Get Info. I don't know if this is by design or a limitation but I'll notify Dragan (dev) about this discussion.

3. There's already a suggestion ticket to use more single key shortcuts. I'll attach it to this discussion.

4. In Path Finder 5, there was a hotkey (which could be edited) to open Go > Favorites > Favorites. In v6, you can only add to favorites but not open the Favorites folder from the menu. The only folders you can open by a hotkey are listed in the Go menu.
      Out of curiosity, you don't use anything like QuickSilver, Butler or LaunchBar along with Path Finder, do you? They can complement Path Finder in this area.

5. The Control key can be assigned but has some limitations. Maybe Dragan has something to say about this. Anyway, here are the possible combinations:

• Control + F1-F12 (plus Shift and/or Option and/or Command with F keys)
      • Control + Command + A-Z / 1-0 (plus Option and/or Shift as long as Command is included)
    6. This calls for an already suggested feature which is Clone Tab. In the mean time, and I know you're keyboard driven, you can work-around this by dragging the current directory from the Path Navigator to the Tab Bar.

7. To use the built-in editor, use File > Open > Open Text File (you can customize the hotkey). If you use a popular coder's editor, see if you find a plugin that suits you (to be able to use a hotkey to open a file in an external editor). If you can manage with a menu option, just choose your favorite text editor in Preferences > General > Default Text Editor and then use the contextual menu option Open with > Open with (your text editor).

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Dragan on 03 Jan, 2013 11:41 AM

The ticket is created, we'll investigate all your proposals. I'll close this one for now, feel free to reopen if there's anything else you want to add.

3. Dragan closed this discussion on 03 Jan, 2013 11:41 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac