Access to the root of my NAS

Michael Ruane

19 Apr, 2012 11:24 AM

I can select my NAS in OSX Lion Finder and see the folders located in the root directory of the NAS. Using Pathfinder v6 (and v5) when I select the NAS from the Shared sidebar section (using AFP access), I firstly need to select a folder from the pop up menu to mount that folder as a Device. Why can't Pathfinder just connect and show all of the folders located off the root of the NAS - why must I first select a folder to mount?

Cheers Mike

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 19 Apr, 2012 12:13 PM

When you select your NAS in Finder, those "root folders" you see are actually volumes. So, they really are devices. When you select them in Finder, they also mount as volumes, you can confirm that if you set Finder to show "Connected Servers" on Desktop.

We'd like to do it the same way as in Finder, but there is no public API for that. Like for many other things in their applications (Finder especially), Apple uses some private APIs known only to them to achieve the behaviour you describe. We're just limited to using public APIs for mounting volumes. Even that pop-up panel that appears and let you choose a volume to mount is not a part of Path Finder, it's part of the public API used to mount volumes and it pops up automatically every time we want to mount if the disk/server has more volumes.

2. Dragan closed this discussion on 19 Apr, 2012 12:13 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac