No Custom Label Colors - Please get it back for PathFinder 8.

psychiatry

03 Jun, 2018 04:01 PM

PathFinder 7 allows you to Customize the Label Colors.

LINK: https://i.imgur.com/7EK1Iyq.png

INLINE IMAGE: PathFinder 7 Custom Label Colorss

PathFinder 8 has NO CUSTOM TAG COLORS.

On my system - perhaps because of a deep Finder bug in MacOS - the tags shown by PathFinder are wrongly colored. They are colored their original Finder Tag colors from Mac OS X 10.2 instead of MacOS 10.13. For example:

Tag 1 is yellow instead of red.
Tag 2 is green instead of orange.
Tag 3 is red instead of yellow.
Tag 4 is cyan instead of green.
Tag 5 is purple instead of blue
Tag 6 is blue instead of purple.
Tag 7 is orange instead of gray.

LINK: https://i.imgur.com/93KKMyl.png

INLINE IMAGE: Pathfinder Custom Sidebars

The ability to customize the Tag Colors would have allowed me to compensate for the bug.

Here are the corrected label colors:

LINK: https://i.imgur.com/HYtUEre.png

INLINE IMAGE: PathFinder 7 Custom Label Colors Corrected

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 07:10 PM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 07:10 PM

3. 1 Posted by nate.zyontz on 06 Jun, 2018 04:18 PM

What gives with this feature being removed? For those of us who bought PF because we can somewhat go dark mode with custom colors these label colors look like clown shoes. Why was this taken out?

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 08:19 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 08:20 PM

6. 2 Posted by psychiatry on 07 Jun, 2018 08:14 AM

Good point @nate.zyontz.

Custom Label Colors is a very useful feature.

I hope it returns with further updates of PathFinder 8.

7. 3 Posted by psychiatry on 07 Jun, 2018 08:17 AM

Note that PathFinder 7 and PathFinder 8 use the same Application Support Folder.
    Because of this, if I use PathFinder 8, my custom colored label colors from PathFinder 7 are ERASED.

This seriously inhibits me from using PathFinder 8 simultaneously with PathFinder 7.

I wish PathFinder 8 had a different Application support folder - which can be a subfolder of a primary application support folder. This would allow us to simultaneously use two different versions of PathFinder.

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Jun, 2018 05:27 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 07 Jun, 2018 05:27 PM

10. 4 Posted by brian on 20 Jun, 2018 07:59 PM

+1 to fix this. This was the first thing I noticed on upgrading. My custom light-on-dark text was completely unreadable with the default label colors.

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jun, 2018 07:59 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Jun, 2018 07:59 PM

13. 5 Posted by peter on 17 Jul, 2018 12:30 AM

Yes, PLEASE enable custom label(tag) colors.

I have issues similar to psychiatry's post.

Specifically, I use a dark background for my panels and the "new" colors in PF8 (apparently the default Apple colors??) are gaudy and way too bright. I rarely use the Finder and keeping the colors "compatible" is a non-issue for me. Customization is key for my workflow.

I've been a huge fan and user of PathFinder for many years, and strongly believe in independently-developed software. But If PF is now going to become a slave to Apple's rigid features, I'll have no use for PF. I hope you can find a way to enable adjustment of the tag colors.

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 04:33 PM.

15. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 04:33 PM

16. 6 Posted by Olexy Kovtun on 02 Dec, 2018 09:21 PM

I, too, request to return customizable label colors - and customizable colors for window frames and toolbars

17. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Dec, 2018 10:57 AM.

18. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Dec, 2018 10:57 AM

19. 7 Posted by nick on 04 Dec, 2018 03:59 PM

Absence of custom label colors continues to prevent me from upgrading to PF8, and clearly disappoints a lot of long-time users. How difficult can it be? Can Cocoatech not at lest give some sort of commitment to reinstating the feature?

20. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Dec, 2018 05:17 PM.

21. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Dec, 2018 05:17 PM

22. 8 Posted by psychiatry on 23 Dec, 2018 10:28 PM

I'm still waiting patiently for this feature (custom colored labels) to come back to PathFinder. My initial request was 6 months ago. The inability to customize the label colors makes it difficult to use PathFinder since Path Finder shows different colors than what the Finder shows.

23. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Dec, 2018 11:08 AM.

24. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 Dec, 2018 11:08 AM

25. 9 Posted by doublesupercool on 24 Dec, 2018 10:50 PM

Agreed. At this point I have stopped using Pathfinder and am using Forklift because I need to colour tag a lot of files for my study, and with PF "white text on colour background" file names are unreadable, not to mention just plain ugly.

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Dec, 2018 09:39 AM.

27. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 25 Dec, 2018 09:39 AM

28. 10 Posted by mgriffin on 08 Jan, 2019 11:22 AM

I agree - I like dark mode, but the tag colours in pathfinder make it impossible to read. Even just including the option to show the colour not as a background, but as a badge beside the filename would do wonders for readability.

29. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Jan, 2019 10:07 AM.

30. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Jan, 2019 10:08 AM

31. 11 Posted by psychiatry on 13 Jan, 2019 07:55 PM

Yes. In dark mode, Path Finder's fixed tag colors makes file names unreadable.
    We need custom tag colors to correct this problem and restore one of Path Finders best features

Path Finder Dark Mode Labels Original Image

32. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jan, 2019 10:06 AM.

33. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Jan, 2019 10:06 AM

34. 12 Posted by peter on 17 Jan, 2019 10:19 PM

Could be I'm hallucinating, but in PF 8.3.8 I'm now able to read file&folder names using colored tags. Previous to this the tags were too bright (as with psychiatry's yellow tag example in his Jan 13 post...). Not sure it matters, but I have unchecked "Use Default/System colors." both in View Options and Preferences>Appearance, and have tweaked the text and background colors a bit.
    Presuming this was a bug-fix, THANK YOU to the PF team.

35. 13 Posted by psychiatry on 18 Jan, 2019 08:35 AM

Whoa. This is HUGE and GREAT NEWS.

With Path Finder version 8.3.8, Cocoatech's programmers has solved a LONG-STANDING file tag color mismatch problem that exists in many apps that try to render the Finder's tag colors.

For years, for whatever reason, Path Finder, Transmit, ForkLift and other FTP apps had a mismatch between the Finder Tag Colors and the actual colors they would render on my primary Mac account. The bug did not exist on other accounts on my Mac. The tag colors they rendered were the same as Pre-Mac OS X Tiger colors, NOT the more recent tag colors. [See my first post in this thread]

This drove me nuts because it made the apps nearly unusable since I organize so much using colors. For example, the bug caused Red in the Finder to be rendered Yellow by Path Finder and other apps, Orange was rendered Green, etc.

PATH FINDER 7 allowed me to customize the tag colors to work around this deep persistent bug.

FORKLIFT solved this problem. Now their rendering of tag colors is the same as the Finder's tag colors.

Now PATH FINDER 8 has SOLVED THIS PROBLEM. So its tag color rendering now matches the Finder's tag colors.

Alas, PANIC'S TRANSMIT still has this problem, sad to say.

THIS UPDATE MAKES PATH FINDER 8 COMPLETELY USABLE FOR ME.

I now don't need customizable tag colors in Path Finder to correct its rendering problems (though it would still be great), since Path Finder's tag colors now match the Finder's tag colors.

Further, Cocoatech corrected Path Finder 8's DARK MODE VISIBILITY so that readability is vastly improved.

THIS GREAT NEWS. Path Finder 8 is ALIVE and is being actively developed and improved.

I'M HAPPY I CAN NOW USE PATH FINDER 8 FULL TIME.

This is despite its remaining bugs and module interface problems.

For example: despite the serious problem it has with its side bars being unable to accept symbolic links or aliases (one solution would be to simply resolve the link or alias and place the original in the side bar) ---> this is noted in a different thread.

Good Work, Cocoatech developers!

36. 14 Posted by nick on 18 Jan, 2019 08:46 AM

It's an encouraging improvement for sure, but customizable tag colors (as per PF7) are still essential to me, and I'd love to hear from Cocoatech if and when they will return —and perhaps why it is such a problem.

37. 15 Posted by doublesupercool on 19 Jan, 2019 07:26 AM

I dunno. The colours are still dull and not the actual colours. I know I am still complaining, but I just don't quite understand how this can't be as clear and look the same (or have the same style as an option) as both Finder and Forklift.

Red is not "red". It's a dirty shade of red with a gradient on it. Same with green. It's not green. It's drab olive. Yellow is instead a dark, dirty mustard.

At least it is readable now.

38. 16 Posted by nick on 19 Jan, 2019 08:55 AM

I think doublesupercool proves my point: the glory of Path Finder was that users could make it their own, and label colours form a very conspicuous part of how PF looks. One user's dirty mustard is another user's subtle old gold. Colour is personal. My own "yellow" in PF7 is actually more of a beige, and that's the way I like it because I know what it means to me and I like the look of an interface I am staring at for much of the day with colours that (to me) look good together. I understand that some people may not care about this, and that's all part of how colour means different things to different people, but when it matters it matters.

39. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Jan, 2019 05:32 PM.

40. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 19 Jan, 2019 05:32 PM

41. 17 Posted by doublesupercool on 20 Jan, 2019 11:16 PM

One user's dirty mustard or old gold is still not "yellow" as per finder and other apps. If PF wants to set their own take on these colours, so be it, but I honestly can't see why there isn't an option to also default to . . . well, the default actual colours that it seems every other app is capable of using.

It seems like you used to be able to do this. I don't know. The colours chosen still look terrible with my custom dark theme PF colours and average if I do the "use system colours" option.

I don't know. It's a small thing, but when the small things are off, it just makes me want to use it less and less.

42. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Jan, 2019 08:00 AM.

43. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 21 Jan, 2019 08:01 AM

44. 18 Posted by psychiatry on 22 Jan, 2019 09:03 AM

Certainly, a way to improve the colors is to REMOVE THE GRADIENT.
    Gradients are OLD-STYLE and they make it harder to read the file names.

YES, I vote for custom label colors.

PLUS, the current tag organization is atrocious and should be improved. It should be easier to add tags to specific groups of tags.

45. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2019 09:17 AM.

46. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Jan, 2019 09:17 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac