focus remains on renamed file rather than stepping to previous or next file

pnorman

23 Dec, 2012 12:28 AM

Hello!

With Mountain Lion's Finder, renaming a file forces me to quickly hit the up arrow to select the file above the one I renamed in an effort to prevent Finder from keeping focus (ie, highlighted or selected) on the newly renamed file. In a folder containing dozens or hundreds of files, this behaviour is maddening, especially if the renamed file begins with a 'T' when the original filename began with a 'B'; I have to scroll all the way back up to the top of the folder. My usage does not ALWAYS present this quirk but I spend a lot of time organizing files so this behaviour has driven me a little closer to madness than I'm comfortable admitting.

Is there a setting, feature or configuration in Path Finder 6 which changes this behaviour? If not, is it something that could be added as an option in Preferences, rather than as a new Path Finder-wide behaviour? If after the rename, Path Finder changed focus to the file before or after the original filename, then all the scrolling could be avoided.

Has OS X always behaved like this? It behaved this way back to Snow Leopard - I tried it on an iMac running 10.6.8, but I don't have any earlier versions of OS X running on anything so I can't test it. I can't even remember if OS 7/8/9 behaved this way. Thirty years of using computers has blurred together in a worryingly out-of-focus set of memories. I'm slightly worried now that the behaviour of Windows Explorer (File Explorer in Windows 8) mirrors the behaviour I wish to see on OS X - which means I'm wishing OS X worked more like Windows.... if my trash can wasn't full of cardboard Amazon shipping boxes, I'd be sick in it.

Many thanks for any insight which you may be able to provide!
Peter

1. 1 Posted by MALCOLM on 23 Dec, 2012 03:18 PM

I have similar difficulty when deleting files. I believe that it is an OSX thing that moves the scroll bar back to the top each time a file is deleted. It is maddening when culling through files and photos. This app would be the perfect app for me to cull through thousands of photos if it retained its position in the list when a file was deleted. I hope that this can be added.

2. 2 Posted by Damazio on 26 Dec, 2012 02:07 PM

Has OS X always behaved like this?

Yes. OS X is not perfect.

I have similar difficulty when deleting files. I believe that it is an OSX thing that moves the scroll bar back to the top each time a file is deleted.

This specific issue (trashing a file) will be addressed in the upcoming 6.1.3.

If after the rename, Path Finder changed focus to the file before or after the original filename, then all the scrolling could be avoided.

This specific issue (renaming a file) has also been reported in the past. I'll notify Dragan (dev), maybe he can implement the above fix on renaming, as well.

3. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac