Strange behavior with mounted volumes

Oliver

22 Dec, 2012 09:38 PM

I've noticed a number of strange things Path Finder does with mounted volumes. Some of these happen with all kinds of mounted volumes, while others only happen with static mountpoints (such as those configured with /etc/fstab). In the screenshot below you can see three mounted volumes, the standard /home and /net of OS X, and /Data which I configured to mount statically using an entry in /etc/fstab. The first thing is that in list view the icons are incorrect. All three volumes are showing the custom volume icon I'm using for /Data. The preview, as well as icon view, correctly shows the standard icon for /home and /net. The incorrect icon shown can change with each time I view this directory in Path Finder. Sometimes all three will show the icon used for /home or /net. In any case, all three always show the same icon in list view, when they should have two different icons.

The second strange thing is that Path Finder seems to treat these as unmounted, even though they are clearly mounted since I can go directly to a directory within them in Path Finder. But, if I double click on the /Data icon here, the directory doesn't open. Instead, the animation for mounting a volume appears, and afterwards the /Data item move up in the list view and is sorted with the folders, indicating that Path Finder now thinks it's mounted. If I then double click on the icon again the folder opens as expected. But, if I close this window and navigate to / again, the first time I double click, Path Finder once again seems to try to mount the volume.

The third strange behavior might be related to the second. Judging by the icon Path Finder seems to think these are aliases or symlinks, when they are actually volumes mounted at a specific directory. The metadata displayed seems to be incorrect as well, they are for the root volume, not for the actual volume that's mounted at that mountpoint. This happens not just with these static mountpoints, but also with the automounted volumes in /Volumes.

1. 1 Posted by Oliver on 19 Jan, 2013 07:52 PM

Ping. Any progress on this? Since this issue has not been responded to while so many others have gotten replies, I can't tell if it's because it's been noticed and filed into some internal bug tracker to be worked on, or has simply been ignored.

2. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac