Search Sub folders !?!

lee

22 Dec, 2012 07:32 PM

I've finally found the greatness of Path Finder and I can't figure out how to search subfolders!
For example, I need to search the entire computer for hidden folders called ".git", but it doesn't seem to work.
What am I missing?
Thank you!

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 22 Dec, 2012 08:01 PM

Open the Find window (Command + F), switch to Search Search mode, select your HD on the location bar, enable Search inside package contents if desired and search for .git or simply git.

2. 2 Posted by lee on 22 Dec, 2012 08:08 PM

Will that setting stick and work for the default search on the main app window?

Thanks -

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 22 Dec, 2012 08:15 PM

The search field on the main window works independently from the Find window. It always searches inside package contents and across subfolders as long as you you're using Search > Selection or Search > Computer in the drop-down menu. Anyway, I'll test it when I get home from work, I wonder why Search package contents is always enabled in the search box.

4. 4 Posted by lee on 23 Dec, 2012 06:13 PM

Damazio,

I appreciate your help, but it doesn't seem to work in any case.
    On your system try to search for ".DS_Store" (there are tons of these hidden folders on a mac).

Do you find anything in subfolders when searching for .DS_Store?

Thanks,
    Lee

5. 5 Posted by Damazio on 23 Dec, 2012 11:29 PM

Lee, I tested it and the filter bar on the main window definitely searches across subfolders (try to navigate to the root of your boot drive and search for Documents, for example), it just doesn't search for dot files. You'll have to use the Find window for those.

In the mean time, I'll notify Dragan (dev) about this discussion, and see if he has something to add about this discrepancy.

6. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac