PF 8.0.1 High CPU Usage

mpmclane

31 May, 2018 10:13 PM

I just installed 8.0.1 on a MBP that had never had PF installed on it before. I had to quit the app because of high cpu usage. I had no more than one window open and was in another app. 10.13.5 Beta (17F70a)

1. 1 Posted by desperex on 01 Jun, 2018 06:03 AM

The same here with build 1867, which is not beta.
    CPU gets to 200%
    Sampling attached.

2. 2 Posted by Christian on 01 Jun, 2018 05:05 PM

Just a quick note, I have had the same issue (which is why I am here) and I followed the advice in another thread and it seems to have fixed the issue: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/101553-cpu-usage-...

3. 3 Posted by Christian on 02 Jun, 2018 01:37 AM

I posted too early. Unfortunately this did not last, probably a fluke - PF8 is back to its "usual" consistent 100+% of CPU usage. I now have to choose between not using PF or having my laptop fan run permanently at highest speed (as if it wants to lift off). Not cool.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 06:28 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 06:28 PM

6. 4 Posted by Edmund on 22 Jun, 2019 05:38 PM

While I find PF excellent, this high CPU usage is a serious issue. In October 2016 I find your team writing in these forums:

Please accept our apologies it takes so long to resolve the issue. Our developer is working on the next major release and hopefully it will fix all incompatibility issue.

Best Regards,
    Diana
    Path Finder Support Team

Other users reported high CPU usage as far back as a year prior to this. That's now 3 1/2 years ago. I've been chasing this issue, along with my techies for over a year now.

PURLEEZ! Get it together now. ty.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Jun, 2019 06:57 PM

Hi Edmund,

I'm sorry for the troubles caused by this issue.

Unfortunately, it has proven to be quite elusive and hard to pinpoint to the root cause. We've received a number of reports with different versions of Path Finder on different versions of macOS yet we couldn't reproduce it or find what exactly is causing this.

With the release of Path Finder 8, we've rewritten nearly 40% of the app code base, and we continue rewriting it further (most recently we've replaced the compressing engine) to achieve better stability and maintainability. As we continue replacing the older code with the new code written with all the experience and technology available to us now, the issue would be resolved by the virtue of a better code or become much easier to debug.

This does not mean, however, that we've ceased our efforts on finding what's causing the issue.
    Would you mind providing us with some updated details regarding the issue as you're experiencing it, e.g. versions of macOS and Path Finder, how often do you see the issue and if it seems to be associated with certain actions/workflows, process sample as it's happening, etc.?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Jun, 2019 06:57 PM.

9. Edmund re-opened this discussion on 24 Jun, 2019 10:09 AM

10. 6 Posted by Edmund on 24 Jun, 2019 10:09 AM

Hi Jordan, Firstly, my apologies for the rather brusque tone of my initial message. Not helpful at all.

I'm on the current version of MacOSX, High Sierra 10.13.6 and PF 7.6.2.

I need to get my techy to interpret the information in Activity Monitor, as to the relationship between displayed Ram available and used. There's more being 'used' than 'available', just as there's more %age CPU being used than 100.

I noticed CPU spiking yesterday while running video on Google Chrome, but when I rebooted Chrome to the same page, all quiet.

I’ll keep this in mind and try to nail down a repeatable set of actions which causes these high CPU demand events. At this point I’m 95% that on my computer at least it’s linked to PF. Maybe it's something like PF isn't sufficiently assertive to keep its place in line with the other apps when the going gets rough, and maybe I just need more RAM, like cowbell - you can never have enough.

As I said, I like the programme alot - enough to promise as above!

Best wishes, and good luck ;) Edmund

11. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 Jun, 2019 06:36 PM

Hi Edmund,

Just for your info, CPU usage in macOS represents the usage of a single CPU core, so if over 100% is used it simply means the app uses more than one full core worth of CPU.

I will be looking for your report so we can investigate it further.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Jun, 2019 06:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac