change appearance of Path Finder Desktop

alba

20 Dec, 2012 05:51 PM

I am looking to replace my Finder Desktop with the Path Finder Desktop. However, I cannot see where to change the appearance options for the Path Finder Desktop, such as changing the icon size (available in the Finder Desktop under Show View Options) or removing the item count/file size beneath the Path Finder Desktop icons. How can I make these changes? Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 20 Dec, 2012 06:24 PM

Just right click on PF's desktop and choose Show View Options.
    Cheers.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 20 Dec, 2012 06:24 PM.

3. alba re-opened this discussion on 20 Dec, 2012 06:49 PM

4. 2 Posted by alba on 20 Dec, 2012 06:49 PM

Thank you for pointing out that Show View Options is contextual! Because I currently live in the Finder Desktop, I am arranging my Path Finder Desktop to look as identical as possible, and this helps a great deal.

A couple of related questions about the difference between the two Desktops:

1) When I set Snap to Grid on the Finder Desktop, 12 icons stack from top to bottom with the Finder Desktop (52x52 icons, 13pt text). However, in order for 12 icons to stack top to bottom with the Path Finder Desktop, I need to set the icon size at 48x48. This isnt a major problem but it's odd behavior. Why does this happen?

2) My eyes could be fooling me, but Lucida Grande text on the Path Finder Desktop seems to be a different font than on the original Finder Desktop. Which font available to Path Finder Desktop provides the best match with the Finder Desktop?

5. 3 Posted by Damazio on 21 Dec, 2012 12:07 AM

1) Maybe the vertical spacing between icons is larger than in Finder, that's the only reason I can think of. Unfortunately the vertical spacing can't be adjusted, only the horizontal spacing (with the grid slider below icon size). You can also try to place labels on right instead of below, it will leave you more space for icons, vertically.

2) Path Finder desktop fonts will always be bolder (and more legible in my opinion). For a better size match, try 1 point below Finder's or a different font like Helvetica. Point is, choose the best for your eyes and don't worry too much about matching Finder. Adapt, improve, find new ways to make your Desktop better. Just because Finder comes with the computer, it doesn't mean its defaults are perfect.

6. 4 Posted by Oliver on 21 Dec, 2012 09:54 AM

I've noticed the same things as alba, and I'm curious about some of the reasons behind the answer here. The vertical spacing between desktop icons is definitely larger than in Finder. Why can't this be adjusted? Also, why is Path Finder's Lucida Grand bolder than Finders? Is Path Finder applying some kind of effect to make it more legible, or is Finder using a light or ultra light version of Lucida Grand?

7. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac