ANOTHER batch renaming issue

Bob

20 Dec, 2012 08:06 AM

It seems the batch renamer has been abandoned - I haven't seen any improvements.

It always reverts to its default setup. If I set it to replace text, name only, first occurrence (which you've misspelled 3 times in the dropdown menu), the next time I open it it's back to name WITH extension, EVERY occurrence.

It should open with the last used settings.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 20 Dec, 2012 03:07 PM

No, it's not abandoned, it will be improved every time there's something to improve and we think it's worthwhile.

Thanks for misspelling warning, I misspelled it and nobody has noticed (or at least hasn't reported) it so far.

Yes, it always reverts to something that can be thought of as "new/empty" renaming sequence every time you open new session. During beta testing of batch rename functionality, we had it remembered the last used sequence (setup, as you call it), but that wasn't what most people wanted. For example, a user can have a lot of steps in the last used renamed sequence (like 5-6 or more subsequences in the left part of the window) and he/she doesn't want all that when the new session starts. That's why we decided to start "empty"

If you need to get to a particular renaming sequence quickly, you can save it and revert to it with a single mouse click in the saved renaming sequences menu (see attached picture).

2. Dragan closed this discussion on 20 Dec, 2012 03:08 PM.

3. Bob re-opened this discussion on 21 Dec, 2012 05:10 AM

4. 2 Posted by Bob on 21 Dec, 2012 05:10 AM

Regardless of what your testers thought, I still prefer it to open in the setting I use most. There are certain renaming functions that I use regularly, so I want it to open with the one I set. Actually, not with the last-used, because I usually do one and then another, so it would open with the last-used, which isn't what i want.

I think the vast majority of users only want to change the NAME, not the extension, so having it open to the default "name with extension" is a poor choice. I very rarely change extensions, as in almost never in my several years of computing, and I'd bet that's the case for most users.

I was unaware I could save sequences, so thanks for pointing that out. I also discovered from another post that i could click the + symbol to add additional steps, allowing for multiple steps to be done at once.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 21 Dec, 2012 06:57 PM

I think you've got a valid point with the NAME issue. I very, very rarely do any multiple files renaming, so I wasn't thinking much about this. I'll change the default opening mode to name only.

As for the + symbol to add more steps to a sequence... Yes, the output of the previous step is the input for the next one. We even tried to show it graphically (with shape of every step, similar to Apple's Automator does).

6. Dragan closed this discussion on 21 Dec, 2012 06:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac