PF8 is in Beta version, they're using us as betatesters, but paying...

franctastic

30 May, 2018 10:25 AM

I can not waste so much time with the innumerable errors of this new version that they have sold us; I feel cheated!

I want to go back to version 7, how can I do it?
I do not want to pay to waste my time and my patience.

THX

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 May, 2018 07:31 PM

Hi Franc, 

First of all, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. 

Here's the link to PathFinder 7 should you decide to downgrade: https://get.cocoatech.com/PF7.zip

Most of the time PF7 will work fine, but if you made some certain changes in settings, it may just hang after launch, not showing any window.
    If you want to go back using PF7, you may need to delete folder "~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings/Data Store", where "~" is your home folder.
    After that PF7 will work fine. 

We also recommend disabling the automatic update checker in Path Finder > Preferences > General. 

Be sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 May, 2018 07:31 PM.

3. franctastic re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 03:35 PM

4. 2 Posted by franctastic on 03 Jun, 2018 03:35 PM

PathFinder 7 is NOT compatible with MacOS 10.3.5...

disaster!!!

5. 3 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Jun, 2018 03:48 PM

I did the recommened deletion of the folder "~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings/Data Store".

And PathFinder 7 works again.

I wish, however that PathFinder 7 and PathFinder 8 have separate Application Support Folders.

For example
    "~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder 7/ "~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder 8/

This way both PathFinder 7 and PathFinder 8 can run simultaneously.

This is what is done with Filemaker Pro's versions for example.

Posted by Path Finder Sup... on May 30, 2018 @ 12:31 PM

Hi Franc, 

First of all, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. 

Here's the link to PathFinder 7 should you decide to downgrade: https://get.cocoatech.com/PF7.zip

Most of the time PF7 will work fine, but if you made some certain 
    changes in settings, it may just hang after launch, 
    not showing any window.

If you want to go back using PF7, you may need to delete folder: 

***"~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings/Data Store"***, 
    where "~" is your home folder.

After that PF7 will work fine. 

We also recommend disabling the automatic update checker 
    in Path Finder > Preferences > General. 

Be sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

6. 4 Posted by franctastic on 03 Jun, 2018 03:51 PM

I'm very disappointed with PF8, it's a disaster, a new version to make money....

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 07:13 PM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 07:13 PM

9. 5 Posted by dtoub on 04 Jun, 2018 03:07 AM

I was a beta tester. This was very well tested. Why anyone would return to the instability of PF7.x is beyond me but sure, go ahead. Personally you’re better off just sticking with the Finder. Or perhaps if you actually report and detail the “innumerable errors” you’re encountering, maybe they can be solved. You’re focusing on the problems rather than working towards a solution.

10. 6 Posted by portaferry on 04 Jun, 2018 06:10 AM

Well dtoub there seems to be a disconnect in experiences. I didn’t have too many problems with PF7. I have returned to PF7 because maybe I have something on my machines that upsets PF8 but apart from other things it drops all the folders I have dragged to Favourites. This is the first time I have ever downgraded on any app version! I have tried PF8 on my iMac and a MacAir. I understand for one reason or another everything usually needs to be re-written from ground up - but haven't sighted any material about what functionality has been removed and timetable for re-write. PF Support make some vague comments that they are working on various things - but what is the ballpark timetable? We are customers,... we are happy to be constructive and give feedback but I think the onus is on PF to show a pathway and a timetable towards solutions. I for one would be delighted if PF8 worked for me despite having to do some work arounds, ... but Finder seems to be your offered solution, ... :-)

11. 7 Posted by dtoub on 04 Jun, 2018 09:23 AM

I’m just a user like you. It’s working well for me and under high sierra PF7 was unusable.

12. 8 Posted by enkaytee on 04 Jun, 2018 09:34 AM

One of the key issues (apart from any genuine bugs that get identified) is that some very useful features were removed and some not very useful or intuitive ones added. To me, this actually made PF8 in its initial state a downgrade. I never had significant issues with PF7 (perhaps I was just lucky!) so I happily reverted - although now it seems there are problems with the latest OS upgrade which means I could end up with PF8 or more likely an alternative until there are some changes in the way PF8 works. As a Cocoatech customer that's my choice.

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2018 05:10 PM.

14. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Jun, 2018 05:11 PM

15. 9 Posted by franctastic on 05 Jun, 2018 07:18 PM

PF8 is a disaster!

16. 10 Posted by ryoichi on 05 Jun, 2018 08:57 PM

Apple must have spent thousands of hours in developing the Finder. But it's a big company and they can afford it. Trying to rewrite the Finder is a huge undertaking for small companies that don't have the resources that Apple has. Although there are apps that supplement the Finder, such as Total Finder, Xtra Finder, Commander One, etc. Path Finder is the only Finder replacement that I'm aware of. Quite frankly, I'm surprised PF8 works as well as it does. I had nothing but problems with PF7 on my Mac with High Sierra installed. Granted, PF8 is not without problems. But it's been working much better than PF7, at least for me. Kudos to Cocoatech for their efforts.

17. 11 Posted by franctastic on 05 Jun, 2018 09:07 PM

ryoichi and dtoub,
    Have you seen the number of complaints that disgruntled users post every day?
    50 complaints a day.

dtoub, I remind you that I paid for PF7 and PF8.
    What are you gonna say if you've been a betatester?

you must be the only happy users with PF8...

18. 12 Posted by ryoichi on 06 Jun, 2018 02:29 AM

I must be the only one what???

People without problems normally do not say anything. In fact, I did have one problem and posted it here.

19. 13 Posted by franctastic on 06 Jun, 2018 09:00 AM

I don't think they've sold so many updates to PF8 after reading all these problems

20. 14 Posted by u-ro on 06 Jun, 2018 02:38 PM

If there were a beta-testing, I am asking what kind of job they made? Couldn't have been more than installing and see wether it starts up...
    Especially on columns-view there are severe bugs in renaming and previewing. I got this after 5 minutes on working with PF8. Thanks to the support the downgrade to PF7 was possible on the fly. PF8 now is not in a condition to work with in a productive environment.
    For PF is a great tool, I paid for the upgrade immediately. Now I expect to get a revisioned, bugfree update in the next weeks. Please do so!

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 07:59 PM.

22. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 07:59 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac