Growl notifications shown by PF6 without Growl installed on 10.7

Zach

17 Dec, 2012 02:52 PM

This issue was brought up as a previous ticket that was summarily closed on the assumption that both the original poster and I had provided false information about Growl actually not being installed.

I assure you that Growl is NOT INSTALLED on my machine. No process with Growl or growl in the name are running:
ps -axww | grep -i Growl | grep -v grep produces no output. I even ran this WHILE a PF6 notification was actively displayed and found nothing.

Further, after updating the locate database (as superuser so that all files would be indexed), I ran
locate -i Growl and found ONLY various Growl.framework folders in several 3rd party applications, but no .app bundles with Growl or growl in the title. I have uploaded the result of the locate command so that you may verify that there are no Growl or GrowlHelper applications in evidence on my drive.

I have bought, upgraded, and happily used PF for many versions. I'd certainly appreciate it if help tickets for legitimate PF issues weren't closed before it was clear that the issue was actually resolved (or that the issue was / wasn't PEBCAK). I am happy to do what I can to help resolve this matter though, and if you can suggest additional debugging steps to identify where these growl-type notifications might be coming from, I would be most grateful.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 17 Dec, 2012 08:13 PM

Zach,

First about ticket being closed; these discussions are not tickets by default, we do attach real tickets to them (you can see the ticket number, if there is one, in the right column on the discussion page). We close discussion when we think the issue has been resolved. If you don't agree or you still want to comment on the same issue, just make another post to the discussion and it will be automatically re-open. There is no need to create a new one. That also makes it easier for us to follow the issue and avoid duplicate discussions.

That being said, let's get back to the Growl issue. I did some investigation today and I can say that YOU'RE RIGHT, and that my statement "there is NO way Path Finder can show Growl notifications if Growl isn't installed" is FALSE.

We updated the Growl SDK (the framework needed to generate Growl notifications) to version 2.0 in Path Finder 6.1.2 mainly for stability and security reasons. Before that we used the old 1.2 version. Apparently, in version 1.3 (which we skipped, so I didn't read all change history for that one) of the Growl SDK, Growl people created a new feature, and that is to fire Growl notifications even if Growl itself IS NOT installed! They call that Mist. And they enabled it by default!

I have Growl installed (just so that I can test how Path Finder works with it) and I wasn't aware of this feature at all. Anyway, it can be disabled, but that will require some changes in the code. And that will be implemented in the next version, 6.1.3. The beta version with this change will be available very soon (by Friday), so you'll be able to try whether the fix works right away.

If you wan't to get rid of these notifications even before getting this beta, try this: type in the terminal:

defaults write -g com.growl.growlframework.mist.enabled -bool NO

That should disable notifications once for all, even for other applications having the same problem with this as Path Finder.

Thank you for bringing this back to our attention. It'd probably pass by us completely unnoticed.

2. 2 Posted by Zach on 17 Dec, 2012 09:21 PM

Thanks for the information! This is helpful, and I'm glad to get the problem sorted out, though I admit it is a pretty minor issue and really I ought to get on to upgrading to 10.8 anyhow. So thanks for taking the time to look into this.

As to the discussions: at least as an unregistered user, I actually am not able to re-open a closed discussion! For example, for me there is no "comment" area on this page. Perhaps registered users, or perhaps only administrative users, can re-open closed discussions? Anyway, I would have re-opened the previous discussion if I could have; sorry for spreading this issue across two threads,

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 17 Dec, 2012 09:58 PM

Yeah, don't apologise. I think you have to be registered user to re-open the discussion, but I really wouldn't know. I just chime in here occasionally in breaks between development.

Now, I'm closing this one too :-)

4. Dragan closed this discussion on 17 Dec, 2012 09:58 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac