Growl notifications shown despite Growl not being installed

JK Laiho

16 Dec, 2012 10:38 AM

There's an earlier ticket about disabling Growl notifications in OS X versions earlier than 10.8, where the given solution was to configure Growl to not show Path Finder notifications.

The thing is, I don't have Growl installed. Some badly behaving apps have taken it upon themelves to install it behind my back, and I've had to remove it time and again. It looks like Path Finder has joined their ranks.

IMO Growl is a useless junk application, and I strongly disapprove of it being forcefully included and enabled in Path Finder or any other application. There is no Growl.app in my Applications folder, and I've cleared all trace of it from my Library folder. Still, the notifications keep on appearing. So how do I disable Growl in Path Finder once and for all?

1. 1 Posted by Zach on 17 Dec, 2012 02:43 AM

Agreed -- I don't have growl installed either (no application, no prefpane, etc.) but nevertheless PF6 now shows me file-operation completion notifications that I'd rather turn off but cannot.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Dragan on 17 Dec, 2012 09:27 AM

JK Laiho, Path Finder does NOT install Growl behind your back, it only uses it if it's already been installed. Also, there is NO way Path Finder can show Growl notifications if Growl isn't installed.

If I remember correctly, Growl has become stand-alone application since version 2 (I may be wrong about that). Before, it consisted of preference pane part (.prefPane extension) which served the purpose of setting it up, enabling/disabling applications' notifications etc, and an helper app GrowlHelper.app (or something like that) running in the background and actually receiving and displaying notifications. You probably still have that app in your system (maybe installed by some other app). Try to find that and delete it.

The easiest way to see whether the above is your case is to run Activity Monitor (choose All Processes from the toolbar item) and look for the GrowlHelper.app.

3. Dragan closed this discussion on 17 Dec, 2012 09:27 AM.

4. Dragan re-opened this discussion on 17 Dec, 2012 08:15 PM

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 17 Dec, 2012 08:15 PM

The follow up of this discussion.

6. Dragan closed this discussion on 17 Dec, 2012 08:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac