Bottom Shelf in Path Finder 8

Doug Diego

24 May, 2018 04:03 PM

I updated to Path Finder 8. I no longer see the option for the Bottom Shelf. Is there a way to get that back?

1. 1 Posted by jcooper11 on 24 May, 2018 04:12 PM

Ditto.
    Also, same for right-hand side shelf or panel.

2. 2 Posted by Radd on 24 May, 2018 04:15 PM

I'd like this back too.

I love the idea of modules for customization, but my day-to-day use doesn't require constant customization. What my current day-to-day use does include is the desire to not see those shelves/panels all the time but be able to quickly toggle them.

3. 3 Posted by eeolson on 24 May, 2018 05:36 PM

Agreed - the modules should have a minimize or hide/show option. Not just on or completely gone.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2018 06:37 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2018 06:37 PM

6. 4 Posted by juma on 24 May, 2018 07:10 PM

I agree. Please bring back the option to show/hide the bottom and side shelves/panels, or at least a single button to show/hide all panels.

7. 5 Posted by RobL on 24 May, 2018 07:25 PM

Agreed. Trying to Use separate shelf panes for dual browser in Pathfinder 8. Is this now not a thing? What am I missing?

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2018 07:39 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2018 07:39 PM

10. 6 Posted by YK on 25 May, 2018 11:56 AM

I agree, too. Having the bottom/right shelves were the one of the biggest reasons why I liked PF7. I am disappointed not to find it in PF8 after paying for the upgrade.

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2018 01:10 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 May, 2018 01:10 PM

13. 7 Posted by Shooftie on 31 May, 2018 04:39 AM

I agree. I used to be able toggle the right shelf when switching to dual pane but now I am stuck with having to manually shrink it and then resize it when I am done.

This is a deal breaker for me. I'll be going back to PF7 unless it's fixed.

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 May, 2018 03:24 PM.

15. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 31 May, 2018 03:24 PM

16. 8 Posted by Ray Dixon on 01 Jun, 2018 01:37 PM

I entirely agree. Please bring back the botton shelf option. It has taken me ages just to get both Preview and Recent Folders side by side in the bottom shelf. I do not need extensive module customisation.

This and some of the other missing features in PF8 are a deal breaker for me, so I have reverted back to PF7. I am willing to purchase an upgrade, but not this one.

17. 9 Posted by Phillip Walker on 01 Jun, 2018 07:00 PM

+1. I used the bottom shelf for Terminal and it was super handy to be able to show/hide it and the right shelf. Please give us a toggle back. I'm not paying to upgrade to v8 without it.

18. 10 Posted by Incanto on 01 Jun, 2018 08:27 PM

You can get any module you want in a bottom shelf--or left or right shelf for that matter--by hitting Window > Modules then dragging, say, the Terminal module to the main window and positioning it at the bottom. Try that; it worked for me.

19. 11 Posted by Phillip Walker on 01 Jun, 2018 08:40 PM

Yeah, but there is no longer a button to SHOW/HIDE any shelf. You can now only close it completely.

20. 12 Posted by dhnyny on 02 Jun, 2018 12:06 AM

PF8 got rid of shelves and replaced them with modules, which can be placed in the same locations as shelves and provide much of the same functionality. But, as the comments in this thread demonstrate, many of us--perhaps most of us--only need a handful of features on a regular basis and we're used to being able to configure the shelves to provide exactly the features we want, customized the way we want, and to toggle them on and off as needed. The PF8 approach (modules) may offer more ability to customize and may be useful for those who constantly switch among all the many features that the application offers but for the rest of us it is much more cumbersome and slow than PF7's approach (shelves that can be toggled). Like others, I quickly found that PF8 was slowing me down a lot and so I switched back to PF7. Hopefully the good folks at Cocoatech will start restoring some of the essential lost functionality in order to convince PF7 users that there's a reason to upgrade.

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 06:25 PM.

22. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 06:25 PM

23. 13 Posted by stefano on 03 Jun, 2018 04:03 AM

I totally agree with "Hopefully the good folks at Cocoatech will start restoring some of the essential lost functionality in order to convince PF7 users that there's a reason to upgrade."

24. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 06:46 PM.

25. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 06:46 PM

26. 14 Posted by shooftie on 04 Jun, 2018 10:01 AM

To downgrade, can I simply install PF7 over the top of PF8 or do I need to remove PF8 first?

27. 15 Posted by charles.webster on 04 Jun, 2018 01:57 PM

Just adding an additional voice of complete agreement. Path Finder is my favourite tool for the mac, I use it every minute of every day I'm working. However, the loss of the ability to show and hide modules with a single click has made Path Finder 8 a much less useful product and I've switched back to 7 even though I paid for the upgrade without hesitation.
    I presume this "downgrade" in functionality is simply a consequence of the rewrite and I look forward to it's return at which point I will return to PF8 as well.

28. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2018 05:44 PM.

29. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Jun, 2018 05:44 PM

30. 16 Posted by Karstyn on 04 Jun, 2018 08:41 PM

I also just upgraded to v8 and the first thing I missed were toggling the shelves on and off!

I'm guessing there may be some good features for Modules once I have used them more, but modules that can toggle on and off like the shelves did would be even better!!

I'll work with v8 for a while and see what it's like, but I'm betting I'll be reverting to v7 before too long - regretfully, but this is a tool that should help streamline my work not add to it, which currently v8 does.

31. 17 Posted by Rob on 05 Jun, 2018 01:14 AM

I paid to upgrade. I am completely shocked and dismayed that I can't have the bottom shelf? What in the world??????? Terrible decision to remove this functionality. It is integral to my workflow on my Mac. Unreal.

32. 18 Posted by bulkmail75 on 05 Jun, 2018 02:05 AM

I had this issue but YOU CAN RESTORE THEM
    PATH FINDER 8 IS STILL GREAT.

Go to WINDOWS/MODULES and add them manually.

Drag them to the bottom of the screen.

EG.
    Add preview and info for each pane, and lock, assign them to which side.
    overall this new modules is better as you can add more than 2 depending on the screen resolution.

Thanks

33. 19 Posted by Phillip on 05 Jun, 2018 02:09 AM

Obviously not reading the posts. The toggle to show/hide modules(panes) has been removed. We know you can still add modules to the bottom or right side. We want the toggle back! Put-leeeeze.

34. 20 Posted by Daniel Doubleda... on 05 Jun, 2018 12:27 PM

Add me to the list. And please when you bring toggle back make sure that its can be triggered via a shortcut! I always just hit F3 to toggle the bottom shelf. I don't want to reach fir the mouse to do this.

35. 21 Posted by Stever Robbins on 05 Jun, 2018 02:34 PM

1+

I used to have a bottom shelf that had three panes displaying the 3 project folders I use most recently. One click to show the shelf, then a single click to open whatever file I needed from my 3 major projects.

Now, there's no way to open/close the bottom shelves.
    Now, there's no way to have the contents of a folder display in a pane.

There goes a big chunk of functionality.

36. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 04:40 PM.

37. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 04:40 PM

38. 22 Posted by roger on 11 Jun, 2018 05:17 PM

+1 I am in complete agreement. The shelves were an important feature for me and eliminating them has degraded the usefulness of the application. Please restore them.

39. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 06:52 PM.

40. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 06:52 PM

41. 23 Posted by shooftie on 13 Jun, 2018 07:40 AM

I downgraded to PF7 and was having problems with files not being displayed in list view.

If anyone else is having this problem, simply deleting ~/Library/Application Support/Pathfinder seemed to fix it for me.

I had to submit my license key again but it was a small price to pay.

42. 24 Posted by portaferry on 13 Jun, 2018 08:29 AM

It looks like PF has banned my posts for undeclared reasons. Good news is latest PF8 looks a little better.

43. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Jun, 2018 04:58 PM.

44. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Jun, 2018 04:58 PM

45. 25 Posted by Gary Hillis on 27 Jun, 2018 12:41 AM

Get the developers some 13" non retina computers to work on. All the screen shots are wonderful on a 27" desktop, but real estate for some is precious and the retractable shelves were perfect for the small screen. I'm not upgrading until that feature is back.

Also whoever is in charge of their marketing should know that reworking the underpinnings of software is not a selling point - no matter how impressive those changes are to the programmers since the future that those changes will facilitate are what we consumers want. Promising a brighter future is a great way to stop sales of the current product while people wait for the tangible changes to be implemented. Taking away vital features is an exceptionally effective way to stop sales.

46. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2018 02:45 PM.

47. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Jun, 2018 02:45 PM

48. 26 Posted by Andrejs on 14 Jan, 2019 01:44 AM

Spotlight bar does not work at all (files are not being found); Sorting by date columns in left or right directory listing pannels does not work. Path Finder 8.3.7 on macOS 10.14.2. Any settings to reset? Any other clue?

49. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jan, 2019 10:10 AM.

50. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Jan, 2019 10:10 AM

51. 27 Posted by fran on 27 Mar, 2019 08:43 PM

Add another vote to allowing toggling the modules on and off from the keyboard. I hate interacting with the Modules window just to preview a single file, and if I leave the module open it sometimes "goes away" and is busy if I accidentally put the focus on certain file types or large files. My real need is to not leave the keyboard at all, I want to cursor to a file and toggle open the module, say the preview module, and then toggle it back off. I need to do this hundreds and hundreds of times a day.

Having to mouse around from window to window or switch to mouse when using the keyboard slows me down a lot when I am just trying to get some work done. Likewise, the Batch Rename window has all kinds of clickety click click requirements to get anything done with it, everything in the app should be something that I can assign to a key or navigate through without the mouse.

52. 28 Posted by ray dixon (JIC) on 27 Mar, 2019 08:44 PM

I will be away in China until April 1st and will be checking email infrequently.
    For urgent administrative enquiries please contact Naomi Wang ([email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>)

53. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Mar, 2019 08:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac