PF 6 didn't import PF 5 preferences and themes.

Mark

19 Apr, 2012 01:24 AM

How do I get PF 6 to import or use the preferences I've carefully built up in PF 5?

1. 1 Posted by Michael on 19 Apr, 2012 01:44 AM

PF 6 will use an existing PF 6 preferences file. There have been some changes in the way certain features operate, but wherever features remain the same your settings should persist.

2. 2 Posted by Mark on 20 Apr, 2012 12:52 PM

So, the upgrade removes features and yet we're expected to pay $20 to get it?

To help me decided whether to upgrade: can you provide a list to the deleted features and a list of new features?

3. 3 Posted by Mark Waldon TP on 20 Apr, 2012 12:56 PM

Michael,

Thanks for your prompt response.

So PF6 removes features and yet we're expected to pay $20 in order to have less features?

To help me decide whether the upgrade is worth it, please provide a list of the features we'll loose as well as any new features.

--Mark Waldon

4. 4 Posted by Michael on 20 Apr, 2012 05:23 PM

I'm afraid I don't have a comprehensive list of changes, but you can find a list of major additions here:

http://cocoatech.com/releasenotes

You mentioned themes - when the PF 6 UI was redesigned, some customizations were not carried over. e.g. Path Finder 6 uses a completely new new tab system which allows tabs to be dragged between windows but does not allow vertically oriented tabs. We're open to adding these kinds of features back into PF 6 as they're requested.

5. 5 Posted by Michael on 20 Apr, 2012 05:24 PM

Also, if you have any specific questions about features that seem to be different or missing, I can ask the developer what he had done with them.

6. 6 Posted by olsen on 27 Apr, 2012 05:13 PM

Loss of vertical tabs is devastating. I've tried new version and I'm falling back to PF5 because I cannot live without them. Being able to drag and drop tabs is not a big deal per se, but vertical tabs help to save precious space for vertical FILE LIST view. The reason this program exists is TO PROVIDE A GOOD VIEW into a file system, but every goddamn bar, bell and whistle tends to encroach into actual file list space. Vertical tabs help to mitigate this encroachment.

7. 7 Posted by attyinfo on 02 May, 2012 03:25 AM

Even the Support Staff answers (as of 5/2/2012 GMT 0100) show the PF5 icon: why should you expect a more modern treatment?
    Of course, by the time you read this, it might be updated...

I would prefer Support Staff spent its time in updates, but I have come to lower my expectations in addressing PF6 issues.

8. 8 Posted by Michael on 02 May, 2012 05:38 AM

The PF 5 icon is my own personal user icon. I might change it, but I kind of like it.

"I would prefer Support Staff spent its time in updates, but I have come to lower my expectations in addressing PF6 issues."

What do you mean "spend time in updates," and what specific PF 6 issues would you like me to address?

9. 9 Posted by anastasty on 02 May, 2012 05:51 PM

I agree with olsen. I need VERTICAL TABS! I just paid for the upgrade without trying the app, since I've used and loved PathFinder since PF3, but I might need to request a refund. Seriously, this is ridiculous.

10. 10 Posted by attyinfo on 04 May, 2012 12:57 AM

Several hundred of my customized color-coded & custom-named documents are now --to use only one example-- a generic "Red" color with the unhelpful description of "Red".

Thank you for the offer, but I don't expect a fix.

I suggest you focus on vertical tabs: I have not used them, but it sounds like a really cool feature that your loyal customers deserve in PF6.

11. Michael closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2012 03:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac