Excessive power consumption

Gabriel Roth

12 May, 2018 12:23 AM

Path Finder still seems to be drawing a lot of power on High Sierra, as reported on this thread from January: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/86669-excessive-p....

Is there a fix in sight?

1. 1 Posted by Jason H on 12 May, 2018 01:31 PM

I am having the same issue. I experienced this with version 7, and so thought I would try the version 8 beta. The beta is doing the same thing. When I launch Path Finder, my latest-version MacBook Pro gets hot, and in the Activity Monitor, Path Finder shows crazy high CPU usage.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 May, 2018 03:26 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 12 May, 2018 03:28 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 May, 2018 03:28 PM

Hi, 

Unfortunately, this is a known issue for some of our users. 
    But that's unusual that you experience this issue with PathFinder 8, too. 

Here's what sometimes helps our users as a temporary workaround with PathFinder 7: 
     - restore defaults for View Settings (cmd+J);   - remove Preview module (replace with any other). 

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder 8 process in a separate file, when it shows this high CPU usage? 

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. 
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder. 
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field. 
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected. 
    5. Click Save and save the sample file. 
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2. 
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 May, 2018 03:28 PM.

6. JH re-opened this discussion on 13 May, 2018 09:44 PM

7. 3 Posted by JH on 13 May, 2018 09:44 PM

Hi Jordan,
    I have attached the sample. I am glad to help out and looking forward to getting this fixed. Let me know what else I can do.
    James

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2018 11:28 AM
     Subject: Cocoatech Support

Subject: Excessive power consumption

Hi, 

Unfortunately, this is a known issue for some of our users. 
    But that's unusual that you experience this issue with PathFinder 8, too. 

Here's what sometimes helps our users as a temporary workaround with PathFinder 7: 
     - restore defaults for View Settings (cmd+J); 
     - remove Preview module (replace with any other). 

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder 8 process in a separate file, when it shows this high CPU usage? 

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. 
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder. 
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field. 
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected. 
    5. Click Save and save the sample file. 
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2. 
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/98949-excessive-power-consumption

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 May, 2018 01:19 PM

Hi Jason,

Thanks for testing and attaching the sample. We appreciate your contribution. 
    I'm forwarding your message to our developer now. 

Be sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 May, 2018 01:19 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2018 01:19 PM

11. 5 Posted by Gabriel Roth on 14 May, 2018 02:16 PM

Could I get access to the Path Finder 8 beta? Version 7 is unusable for me when I'm not connected to power.

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 May, 2018 02:23 PM

Hi, 

Here's a message from our developer regarding PathFinder 8: 

Path Finder 8 has been in the beta stage for already more than three months now. Some people have been testing it already all that time. We organised all communication with beta testers using Discord application. It's much better way to communicate with bigger community then using a classic mailing list and it's something like Skype on steroids; there's a room chat, there's A/V chat, private messaging etc. You can use it directly from a web browser, but there's also an application for macOS. The discussion with current beta testers in the "pf8-beta" room is already ongoing and thanks to the feedback I've already fixed many issues and bugs found in early betas.

You are invited to join our (Cocoatech) "server" on Discord. Just click this link (or paste it in your browser):

https://discord.gg/YFY3qEx

Once you accept the invitation and login, you'll see Path Finder icon which you can click to join our Discord "server" (see attached picture). At first, you won't have access to any of our message rooms, but once you accept the invitation I'll get notified and I'll assign you as a beta tester. From then on, you'll be able to join pf8-beta room on our server. You can quickly post your response, findings, even attach files etc and I'll get notified immediately and try to respond as quickly as possible. I'm also open for all your questions and ready to explain in details why we do things with PF8 like we do. I hope other beta testers, already familiar with PF8, will do the same.

Please click the link above to accept invitation. If you know anyone else who'd like to join PF8 beta testing just give them the link. It's not set to expire and there are no limitations in joining: whoever accepts the invitation will be added as the beta tester.

Please make sure to read the README.txt before starting to test. You can find it in the pinned message (see pinned icon at the top of the window once you're in the pf8-beta room). It contains some beta testing introduction notes. Please read it before you download and start using PF8, as I think it could save you and me some time asking and responding to some questions already explained there.

The download link to the PF8 builds beta is also posted in the pinned message in the pf8-beta room, but I'll post it here as well:

https://get.cocoatech.com/PF8_BETA.zip

You can also use Check for Updates… to get the latest beta build, just like you do in regular PF to update to the latest version.

Thanks again and "see" you on Discord. I'm awaiting your acceptance of the invitation.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 May, 2018 02:23 PM.

14. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2018 02:23 PM

15. 7 Posted by Gabriel Roth on 14 May, 2018 02:37 PM

Thanks. Version 8 has the same problem. I've attached a process sample.

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 May, 2018 02:49 PM.

17. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 May, 2018 02:50 PM

18. 8 Posted by Gabriel Roth on 03 Jun, 2018 07:19 PM

Same problem with 8.1, which is using 58% of energy. Here's another sample.

I've been using Path Finder for almost 10 years, starting with version 5. I'd hate to have to abandon it.

19. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2018 02:22 PM.

20. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Jun, 2018 02:22 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac