Dropbox integration not integrated

blork3

11 May, 2018 08:06 PM

I read through the Dropbox integration story here:
http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/features-and-development/dropbox-in...

...but that's just not working for me. I have TWO Dropbox accounts (one is personal and one is business) both active. When I go into Feature Preferences > Dropbox it says my personal account is linked. But:

1) There is no way to also link my business account, which has a separate path.

2) The various Dropbox features are not visible on files for EITHER account, even the personal one that's supposed to be linked.

3) Features Preferences > Contextual Menu only lists two Dropbox items ("Copy Dropbox Link" and "View on Dropbox.com"). Finder, plus the various screenshots in here, show other items like "Share..." and "Smart Sync" and "Team Folder Settings."

4) I see no Dropbox icons on any of my files (the green check, smart sync indicator, etc.)

Note that Dropbox is syncing normally. It's just that the "integration" features are not there in PathFinder.

What's going on? How do I get my Dropbox to be integrated?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 May, 2018 07:28 PM

Hi,

Could you please confirm, have you followed this important point: 

if you have multiple Dropbox accounts, you need to link Path Finder to the account your installed Dropbox application is linked to. If you link to some other account, the integration WILL NOT work.

Also, unfortunately, SmartSync and Dropbox contextual menu items are currently not available in PathFinder. 
    We're also sad about it, but nothing we really can do about, as Dropbox API doesn't really have it out of the box, and that's all we can use. That means we'd have to implement our own smart syncing and that could take a lot of time. Blame it on Dropbox (but they won't care, we've already tried and they didn't even bothered replying), not us.

The reason you can use it in Mac Finder is that Dropbox.app, that you use, is synced with Mac Finder using so-called Finder Sync Extension (which provides icon badges and contextual menu's and such). Those extensions can only be loaded by Finder, not other applications, hence Path Finder can't use that as well.

Our best bet is to develop (actually, hack) our way to load Finder Sync extension and than Path Finder would have all Dropbox features as mac Finder, but we're not sure that process will end successfully.

And that's basically the story. We'd really like to be able to include full support for Dropbox like you've got in Mac Finder (and hence satisfy all users asking about that), but for the time being that's just not possible. We are really sorry, but it really doesn't depend on us only.

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 May, 2018 07:28 PM.

3. blork3 re-opened this discussion on 12 May, 2018 11:06 PM

4. 2 Posted by blork3 on 12 May, 2018 11:06 PM

> if you have multiple Dropbox accounts, you need to link Path Finder to the account your installed Dropbox application is linked to. If you link to some other account, the integration WILL NOT work.

I don't understand what this means, because my installed Dropbox application is linked to BOTH accounts. (What's the point of having a Dropbox account if your application isn't linked to it? And the app is capable of linking to both.)

As for the other things, it's no biggie to me if the contextual menus don't have those options, as I rarely use them anyway What I'm most interested in is having the Dropbox icons appear in Pathfinder so I know if files are syncing, or smart-synced, etc.

ed +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ Ed Hawco [email blocked]

On Saturday, May 12, 2018, 3:28:07 PM GMT-4, Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Dropbox integration not integrated

Hi,

Could you please confirm, have you followed this important point: 
    > if you have multiple Dropbox accounts, you need to link Path Finder to the account your installed Dropbox application is linked to. If you link to some other account, the integration WILL NOT work.

Also, unfortunately, SmartSync and Dropbox contextual menu items are currently not available in PathFinder. 
    We're also sad about it, but nothing we really can do about, as Dropbox API doesn't really have it out of the box, and that's all we can use. That means we'd have to implement our own smart syncing and that could take a lot of time. Blame it on Dropbox (but they won't care, we've already tried and they didn't even bothered replying), not us.

The reason you can use it in Mac Finder is that Dropbox.app, that you use, is synced with Mac Finder using so-called Finder Sync Extension (which provides icon badges and contextual menu's and such). Those extensions can only be loaded by Finder, not other applications, hence Path Finder can't use that as well.

Our best bet is to develop (actually, hack) our way to load Finder Sync extension and than Path Finder would have all Dropbox features as mac Finder, but we're not sure that process will end successfully.

And that's basically the story. We'd really like to be able to include full support for Dropbox like you've got in Mac Finder (and hence satisfy all users asking about that), but for the time being that's just not possible. We are really sorry, but it really doesn't depend on us only.

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/98934-dropbox-integration-not-integrated

---

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://support.cocoatech.com, visit http://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/dbe2e623ce6ce8bf597d93bae88df5f103a206d0

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 May, 2018 03:31 PM

Hi, 

Do you perhaps remember, what was the first account that you linked Dropbox to? Is it the personal one? 
    Also, is your PathFinder Dropbox integration linked to the personal account too? 

As I mentioned, Dropbox integration is far from perfect at the moment. 
    We will surely review it as soon as possible. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 May, 2018 03:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac