Dropbox Smart Sync ... again again. Can someone REAL from Cocoatech reply?

loyed

11 May, 2018 03:24 PM

Every thread I see on Dropbox Smart Sync has a reply from "support" saying they will forward these comments to the developers. Could we get some actual DEVELOPER to reply? Any chance of an update before Path Finder 8 to get this support? Sadly Path Finder is not as useful as it used to be as I have a normal Mac Finder window open a lot more than usual to use Smart Sync. Which means I'm in PF less.

I bet this gets the same reply and comments closed.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 12 May, 2018 03:57 PM

Hi there!

No updates before PF8 is out (in about two weeks).

Anyway, PF8 also won't have Dropbox Smart Sync from the beginning. We're also sad about it, but nothing we really can do about, as Dropbox API doesn't really have it out of the box, and that's all we can use. That means we'd have to implement our own smart syncing and that could take a lot of time. Blame it on Dropbox (but they won't care, we've already tried and they didn't even bothered replying), not us.

The reason you can use it in Mac Finder is that Dropbox.app, that you use, is synced with Mac Finder using so-called Finder Sync Extension (which provides icon badges and contextual menu's and such). Those extensions can only be loaded by Finder, not other applications, hence Path Finder can't use that as well.

Our best bet is to develop (actually, hack) our way to load Finder Sync extension and than Path Finder would have all Dropbox features as mac Finder, but we're not sure that process will end successfully.

And that's basically the story. We'd really like to be able to include full support for Dropbox like you've got in Mac Finder (and hence satisfy all users asking about that), but for the time being that's just not possible. We are really sorry, but it really doesn't depend on us only.

P.S. You lost the bet :-)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac