Items in view pane refreshing too quickly

jaydorsey

05 May, 2018 05:40 PM

I use my browser pane/layout as in the attached screenshot. The only column truncated in my screenshot is the file name.

Latest path finder 7, 10.13.4 (High Sierra) on a slightly older (2013) Macbook Air (8GB RAM)

As you can see in the screenshot, I prefer to display the tags field, so I can enter tags in (batch updating tags for files I scanned, which are later sorted into folders by Hazel)

The behavior I expect, is that I can double-click inside the "Tags" field, and add or edit tags.

The behavior I'm seeing, is that after clicking, I have a very, very, very small window of time in order to add or edit a tag. Basically, I can enter a single character, maybe 2, if I'm lucky. The cursor will blink once, maybe twice, and the field is clearly highlighted for a moment, ready for editing. The field then quickly loses focus and the ability to add or edit tags is no longer functional. It's not clear where focus is given to. I liken the behavior to stateless screen refreshing/repainting/reloading on a web page.

This is a problem because it prevents me from adding or editing file tags.

I've tried a couple things to identify the root cause (none of which resolved the issue, but pointed to Path Finder as having the bug):

• Disabling Hazel, so it won't scan the folder
  • Use a folder that's not attached to any type of cloud provider (Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud)
  • Use a folder that only has 2 files in it
  • Disabling Path Finder preview pane
  • Removing size and date modified fields from the view

I've also observed a number of other periodic, but recurring, refresh issues with Path Finder. A folder with a half dozen PDF files, for example, would noticeably flicker on the screen in Path Finder (no issues in Finder), causing selection and renaming of the files to be difficult. Also, when I select a movie or GIF in Path Finder, and observe it in the preview pane, the Preview pane constantly reloads/refreshes with a noticeable flicker. The "play" button is visible for movies, but pressing it does nothing because the preview pane reloads immediately.

I've observed no refresh issues with Finder and had no issues adding or editing tags in Finder, or previewing videos or gifs.

I've had no hardware issues to date (graphics card, etc) and have recently used graphics/GPUZ heavy tools including Adobe Lightroom without any issues. I observe no other similar repaint or flickering in any other application.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 May, 2018 06:26 PM

Hi, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Unfortunately, most of these are known issues with PathFinder 7. 
    It's been a long time since the initial release. 
    The good news is that we're currently beta-testing the new version of PathFinder. 
    It's re-written from a scratch and is much more stable in many ways. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 May, 2018 06:26 PM.

3. jaydorsey re-opened this discussion on 05 May, 2018 06:38 PM

4. 2 Posted by jaydorsey on 05 May, 2018 06:38 PM

Thanks. I downloaded the new PF8 beta. The issue appears resolved in the new beta (and the drop stack is back, which is why I stopped using the beta a few weeks back)

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 May, 2018 07:02 PM

Hi, 

Thank you for using PathFinder. 

Don't hesitate to contact us should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 May, 2018 07:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac