Path Finder calculating folder sizes on closed windows = annoying & useless activity.

ken256

08 Feb, 2018 12:13 AM

I have read a couple posts mentioning excessive CPU activity and wonder if a possible contributor is what I am experiencing.

I am very disappointed that Path finder 7.6.2 continues to Calculate All Sizes after I have closed the subject window.

I generally like knowing the sizes of objects in a window. If I open a window onto a volume, say, that has a great many files (a newly-cloned startup drive is a perfect example), and Calculate All Sizes is enabled, Path Finder goes to town, using perhaps 50-90% (of 800%; computer is 8 cores). Obviously it has to examine the sizes of almost a million files. Lots of hard-drive thrashing. But if I have just opened the window for a moment to examine something and then close it, the thrashing continues. Activity Monitor shows PF still calculating away — on a closed window! Imagine if I was searching for a file I had recently dropped onto a volume, then lost track. I open several windows to find it, and close them. Result: thrashing that goes on forever!

Finder does this properly: Open a window on a complex volume, and the calculating starts, using about the same CPU power as PF. But close that window, and it stops — and Finder seems to remember how far it got during the open-time.

My solution to PF’s thrashing is unpleasant, but I don’t have a choice until I can script a one-button solution: Quit and re-launch PF. All activity is gone.

Adding insult to injury, quitting always causes PF to forget what it has already calculated! If a window has been fully totalled, and I close it, the next time I open it PF still shows the folder totals. But if I shut down overnight, the next day all is forgotten, and PF starts over. Phooey on this behavior.

Quit and re-launch Finder, and the totals are still there.

I have now set all volumes on my desktop to NOT Calculate All Sizes in their root window. I can click the Calculate button in a Get Info window for any one folder, but I can’t casually survey the contents’ totals anymore.

This needless drive thrashing is unnecessarily hard on spinning drives and may be setting the Last-Access Time on each file, too, I can’t say. That would be uncalled-for wear on my SSD, which I try to suppress by mounting them with the “noatime” parameter set.

Surely this behavior is due to a design oversight and needs to be fixed. Please.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 Feb, 2018 08:28 PM

Hi, 

Please try disabling the Tags column (shelf modules) in List view and check if the issue still persists. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Feb, 2018 08:28 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 08 Feb, 2018 08:30 PM

4. 2 Posted by ken256 on 11 Feb, 2018 01:02 AM

I have never enabled the Tags column anywhere. Yesteday, afer reading another user's issues I enabled it on a large folder. No difference in CPU activity. Disabled it again.

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Feb, 2018 03:46 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Feb, 2018 03:47 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac