Kernel Panic when changing Finder integration settings

Corey Perrigo

05 Feb, 2018 06:10 PM

Lately I've been experiencing some odd behavior with Path Finder. The main issue is that the program will cause the system to be non-responsive for several minutes when starting up. In trying to diagnose the issue, I've attempted a complete uninstall, which includes turning off the Path Finder desktop. Whenever I try to turn Path Finder's desktop off however, the system immediately kernel panics.

Path Finder Version 7.6.2
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
macOS 10.12.6

1. 1 Posted by Corey Perrigo on 05 Feb, 2018 09:19 PM

I also wanted to note with the initial issue with non-responsiveness that the system isn't being unresponsive due to high load, Path Finder is having nearly zero impact on CPU usage. It's just a long period of unresponsiveness that seems to affect a lot of other functions like the Dock and system UI.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Feb, 2018 02:40 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 06 Feb, 2018 02:41 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 06 Feb, 2018 02:41 PM

Hi Corey,

In case you've tried removing PathFinder preferences according to this instruction 
    http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/how-...

Please also try following this instruction and check if the issue still persists: 
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Let me know how it goes. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Feb, 2018 02:41 PM.

6. Corey Perrigo re-opened this discussion on 06 Feb, 2018 06:11 PM

7. 3 Posted by Corey Perrigo on 06 Feb, 2018 06:11 PM

Hello, I tried clearing the NVRAM as suggested, but it didn't seem to change much. Path Finder is still hanging on startup, and the system still crashed when trying to re-enable the Finder desktop. The only difference that I was able to notice was that the system didn't give me a kernel panic screen and instead cut directly to black and quickly restarted.

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 06 Feb, 2018 08:19 PM

Hi, 

Sorry for having it suggested in such case. Please follow this instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

2. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Feb, 2018 08:19 PM.

10. Corey Perrigo re-opened this discussion on 07 Feb, 2018 05:58 PM

11. 5 Posted by Corey Perrigo on 07 Feb, 2018 05:58 PM

Just gave it a shot, the jail was indeed the case. After turning it off, I'm still getting significant system slowdown when starting the application, but the system was fine after I disabled Path Finder's desktop.

12. 6 Posted by Corey Perrigo on 07 Feb, 2018 06:36 PM

Another update, after a verification test, I attempted to close Path Finder without having modified any settings since launching, and that caused the system to kernel panic again. I confirmed that the system didn't re-jail the app for some reason.

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 Feb, 2018 07:24 PM

Hi,

May I ask you to also disable, in case such settings are enabled: 
    - "Hide Finder's Desktop" at PathFinder > Preferences > Finder (I suppose it's already disabled if you are not using PF's desktop);  - "Set as the default file browser" at PathFinder > Preferences > General. 

Let me know if that makes a difference. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Feb, 2018 07:24 PM.

15. Corey Perrigo re-opened this discussion on 09 Feb, 2018 06:38 PM

16. 8 Posted by Corey Perrigo on 09 Feb, 2018 06:38 PM

Hello, I attempted to do this this morning.

• Path Finder was already not set as the default file browser.
    • I noticed that Hide Finder's Desktop was re-enabled for some reason. Attempting to turn it off again results in the original kernel panic, which is leaving me thoroughly confused.
  17. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 09 Feb, 2018 07:02 PM

Hi,

In this case, it's necessary to delete the "com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist" preferences file. 
    This should fix the "default file browser" issue. Having done that, stay away from that checkbox in Preferences, I believe this is going to help. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Feb, 2018 07:02 PM.

19. Corey Perrigo re-opened this discussion on 13 Feb, 2018 05:48 PM

20. 10 Posted by Corey Perrigo on 13 Feb, 2018 05:48 PM

I managed to get the program into a decently stable state. The "Hide Finder's Desktop" checkbox refused to uncheck because I had the Path Finder desktop option checked, which for some reason clearing the plist preferences didn't help. It doesn't seem to kernel panic anymore, nor does it lag the system when the program starts up.

21. 11 Posted by Corey Perrigo on 13 Feb, 2018 05:52 PM

Spoke too soon, the system will lag after clicking around through some directories, but at this point, I'm just glad I could reenable the regular Finder desktop.

22. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Feb, 2018 05:17 PM.

23. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Feb, 2018 05:17 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac