Search!

dales

26 Jan, 2018 12:58 AM

There are 600 plus discussions on search. It seems many people cannot figure it out.
I have read a number of them and the screenshot links in all the ones I looked at are busted so I can't see the button or menu item that is in the screen shoot.

I would REALY like you all to make it more intuitive somehow or write a good tutorial on it. I love PathFinder over all, I just cannot make search work!!!!! Search sucks! And the 600 plus discussions indicates to me that I am not unique in this assessment.

Reading many of the 600 plus entries is not getting me any closer.

1. 1 Posted by Fredrik Ekleund on 26 Jan, 2018 10:03 AM

I strongly agree.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 Jan, 2018 04:39 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 Jan, 2018 04:40 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 Jan, 2018 04:40 PM

Hi, 

Thank you for the feedback. 

We will surely review our Search module and manuals that should go along. 

First of all, make sure not to use the Toolbar field which defaults to "Filter by name" and applies to the current folder path only. 
    You can change what it does by left-clicking inside the field so an arrow pointing down appears to the left. 

The "Find" window can be accessed with cmd+F. 
    There are two modes on the Toolbar: "Spotlight/Search". 
    Hover your mouse pointer over Toolbar items in order to find out what they stand for. 

We used to receive reports that it may sometimes work unstable but should do just fine for simple tasks. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 Jan, 2018 04:40 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 Jan, 2018 04:40 PM

7. 3 Posted by dales on 07 Feb, 2018 03:58 PM

Or maybe it just is broken. Please look at the screen capture and tell me what is wrong.

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 Feb, 2018 02:39 PM

Hi, 

Thank you for attaching the screen recording. 

This is the search mode switch on your Toolbar: https://i.imgur.com/zT3XSDn.png
    Could you please specify, is Search not working for you in both of the modes? 

Also, may I ask you to follow this instruction and check whether it makes any difference: 

1. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

2. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Feb, 2018 02:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac